O/T Surviving Circumstances - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

O/T Surviving Circumstances

Given the problems of the last week, I though I'd pass on a good read for many of you out there... so you're never caught in the circumstances that are found in New Orleans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Surviving Circumstances

i've got a few other survival type books i've read along the way.

With this disaster in our own backyard its important we all see the value of self reliance.

You cant count on people to save you all the time, sometimes you got to save yourself,

i think the rescue efforts would be a LOT easier if we only had to rescue the TRUELY disabled/unable to travel. I saw a lot of cars there, which leads me to believe a lot of these people COULD have left the area, especially when the storm wwas a Cat. 5 sitting off the coast.

if you count on the Gov't to save you, you should only expect the same level of service as you get from the DMV, IRS, or other Gov't agency.

Take Care of yourselves and your neighbors
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

I totally agree with the self reliance. I express my deepest sympathies for those victimized by this disaster, but to see people that look healthy on the news screaming "where's the government" instead of taking their own measures for survival is rediculous. God gave us hands and feet and a semi-good head, use them. They have no shelter, yet they have an endless supply of building materials, although not in perfect shape, right under their feet. Start taking action, a home-built shack is a hell of a lot better than standing in the sun looking for uncle sam and dying of a heat stroke. If it were me, I would be living like a hobo king, but I am not there, and I am on my way to my church with canned goods and clothes to send, so may god be with them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Addict

Finally someone who sees it as i do! Instead of sitting around start walking, scrounging for NESSITIES for you and your less able neighbors.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:55 PM

I've got a survival disertation on my new web site.
I grew up on a secluded farm in 'Tornado Alley' and have a home in the 'Hurricane Belt'...

Don't think I don't know how to treat water for drinking, or work on a generator...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:52 PM

My wife and i had a conversation about the situation in New Orleans. After about 15 minutes of back and forth i looked at her and said it that were to happen to us and if i was alive we would survive. It would not matter how much filth, corpses, or what ever else would be around that could stop me from getting my family to safety if we chose not to listen and didn't leave.

Looking at all the debris left behind you could build a raft with a roof, a shelter with a roof, whatever you need is right there. I'm sure i would have checked out one of the many boats all over. Or any vehicle sitting around(didn't see any jeeps)

I feel really bad for those people who chose not to heed the warning to get the heck out of town, but it also frustrates me that they could have made a difference in their own survival if they just would have listened.

I was reading on CNN a story and this is what one person said

"Down the road in Thomasville, the Cox family members were cooking all their meals on a barbecue grill. They also had no power, water or phones and no idea when they could expect any of it back.

"We've been learning to do without, which I think is the Lord's plan, since we've all become complacent," Frances Cox said."

Talk about a good spirit !!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Old Hand

[ QUOTE ]
If it were me, I would be living like a hobo king,

[/ QUOTE ]

X2 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it were me, I would be <font color="brown">living like a hobo king</font>,

[/ QUOTE ]

X2 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Uhhhhh... some of us have wives who tell us "we already do..."?!?!?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]

(Some people just don't appreciate good Jeep-oriented survival skills! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img] )

Now I better get back outside and continue to clean-up/organize 'the parts pile' & find a parking spot for our 'new addition'[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just heard that gulf coast firearms sales are up as much as 10x the usual levels.... some stores report selling them faster than they can stock them (not from looting, actual purchases)

iiiinnteresting

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display...05091224546.xml
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 AM

Doesn't surprise me at all. The crime rate in New Orleans was among the highest in the nation. The murder rate was the highest, more than twice New York City's. Where are all those thugs now?

In N.O. the cops new most of the bad guys by sight. Now they can blend in perfectly with the rest of the refugees. The mug books aren't much help a hundred miles away in a deserted city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode