Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Am I getting myself in trouble ??? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212294-am-i-getting-myself-trouble.html)

Dirt Dog 09-01-2005 08:59 PM

Re: Am I getting myself in trouble ???

[ QUOTE ]
Will it be one hour of road for three hour of mechanics ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well SURE.......................

kinda anyway, thats why we love em'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bob F 09-02-2005 06:26 AM

Folks

I went to see the Jeep yesterday. The owner gave me a short ride in the woods, and I must admit I was impressed by the capacity of such a small vehicule. (I never rode a Jeep before....) But....

The mechanical condition was good. There was some small things, such as brakes, clutch bearing, no flasher at the rear and some electrical to redo. But the main problem was the body condition. The back of the Jeep was so rusted I could lift it from the frame and I could remove crust of rust easily from everywhere. For the use I intend to make, that is mainly a road vehicule and sometime a trail vehicule, there was simply too much body work to be done.

But now I'm hooked, I'll read this forum and inform myself better, and I'll keep looking for a jeep in better condition than this one.

Thanks to all of you who answered my questions

Bob in Sherbrooke

Jim_Lou 09-02-2005 06:57 AM

You did the right thing. A good old CJ will be a rare bird there. You will probably need to choose between a newer Jeep, a restored one, restoring one yourself, or buying from the southern U.S.

Be VERY careful looking at restored Jeeps. The quality of the work is everything.

Junk Yard Genius 09-02-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:
"I don't want to embark myself into a never ending project of rebuilding a Jeep."
--------------------------------

I may have missed something here...
But, Is there any other kind of Jeep project? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
--------------------------------

Seriously, the brake parts are all available, but you may have to wait a week for them to come in from the warehouse, as most parts stores won't stock parts much over 15 years old.

Let me know what kind of alternator you have, and I'll provide the upgrade information to use a much better internally regulated alternator. It's a bolt in, you will have to change the connector plug for the alternator.

If you decide you DON'T want to tackle this project, be sure and let us know where this fine old CJ is at!
I'm sure there is more than one of us that will tackle this little beauty!

jdoggmoney 09-02-2005 03:55 PM

Look around for a local 4x4 or Jeep club for info and advice too. Welcome to the BBS! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]