crazy gas shortage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:03 PM
74jeep

crazy gas shortage?

Does the whole country think we have a gas shortage, or is this only where I live? I just went to a gas station that was completley out of gas, then at the next one I had to wait in line for 30 minutes. People had 3 and 4 gas cans in the back of their trucks......Is this everywhere or the people just crazy here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

Re: crazy gas shortage?

I saw on CNN that in Atlanta, there are places where gas has spiked to $5.00 a gallon, and some stations were only giving $10.00 worth of gas per customer. Gas jumped $0.30 a gallon today alone in South Florida where I live. I guess it's an epidemic. What's worse, I saw 2 fully fuctional gas stations side-by-side, and one station was 5 cents cheaper than the other. The cheaper station had all pumps full and a line to the street, and the more expensive by only $.05 might as well have been closed, only 1 car there getting gas. I guess people are getting extra panicky.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Old Hand

Yup time to put the Superduty to rest and drive the Datsun I have been working on for my son to drive.

Naw it just going to get worse though Im sure. Whatcha gonna do?

Walk? No I dont hink so. If I can't drive there I dont go.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 PM

30% of our oil comes from the gulf coast so guess what gang..
It will probably get alot worse before it's all back up and running..They don't even know how many rigs were damaged yet.
Keith
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:39 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

whats worse is no matter how bad it gets, it will never reverse, just level off in a bad spot until everyone starts to forget about the last gas price spike/rip off and then do it again. If it runs up to 4.00 a gallon, I'll bet that we will never see 3.00 a gallon again, unless a competitive fuel alternative comes leaps and bounds in technology and refinement like hydrogen or something.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM

If you live near Burlington NC/Greensboro NC you should be familiar with the Colonial Pipeline Fuel Depot. That pipeline brings in the fuel that services alot of the area out to Raleigh. However the line going into Greensboro is fed via LA and Miss. I understand that fuel has not been pumped through that pipeline since Sunday. There is a terminal in Smithfield, I am not sure about the path of that one.

http://www.wral.com/news/4921361/detail.html

What folks really need to remember is that while this disaster is going on - the folks in those area aren't buying gas. Overall consumption should decrease in the short term while those folks are walking around. It's a shame that the NEWS CHANNELS don't mention that fact. It might help keep folks from creating an artificial shortage by panic buying. Anyone remember the Toilet Paper shortage sparked by the Johnny Carson joke many years ago?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Gas prices seem to always spike when things like this happen. And for some reason I never think about it before the spike in that delay between when the event happens and the prices rise. Thankfully I filled up just before...but I've got a lot of driving ahead of me this weekend. I think the prices will go back down...but time will bring it up again as it always does.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Old Hand

where i go to school in ct it went up .40 cents and its suposto go up another .30cents tommorow and after this weekend it might go up another .20-.30 cents it better go down i was pissed when it hit 2.50 and but i started to like the no rising of the price and then this happens its just retarted and i also read that the bush took oil from are reserves and he also stated that we have a problem with oil i think its time to start geting gas from iraq this is a joke
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 09:36 PM

It's all BS, a reason to get the $$$$ where they want it. I'm guessing it to go 3.50 and the back off to a discount of 3.00 so we can think we are getting a good deal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Like I said all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Glad I don't have to buy gas from the headhunters. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] (I got almost 65 gallons last week [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img])
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 AM

Yesterday around noon, 75% (estimated) of our local stations ran out of gas, people went crazy. Gas prices jumped 20 cents in 4 hours. People are saying that its gonna jump again today. Lucky for me, I had filled up the CJ on the way to work that morning. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode