Trying to save gas, would this work... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

Trying to save gas, would this work...

I know this sounds crazy, but I am a full time college student, I have 2 jobs, one right down the street from home in the AM, and one in the evening. I commute 18 miles north of my house to go to school 5 days a week, and then 15 miles south of home every night for job #2. With the recent hurricane, gas prices are getting beyond my reach, and being a 2nd year mechanical engineering major, I started thinking of things to do to my jeep that would help with gas miliage. So here goes, it sounds crazy to me, but what the heck, curiosity is killing me.
I have the 4 liter 242" inline 6/ NV-3550 5 speed in a 2003 TJ, and my question is this. If I pull the plug wires off of 2 cylinders and unplug the injectors for the same 2 to "theoretically" run the engine on 4 cylinders, will this hurt the engine in any way? I am sure this will send some kind of trouble code to the computer, but will that do anything negative other than turn on the check engine light? As you can see, I am getting desperate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Trying to save gas, would this work...

No...will not help. Besides running like crape, the other 4 cylinders are having to work to just compress air in the dead cylinders. About the only way it would work would be to pull the push rods or remove the plugs (which then make you sound like a steam engine). Even so, you will not see a worth while increase in MPG.

May I suggest that you increas air pressue in the tires to at least 32PSI and make sure you are not carrying around any excess weight. Adjusting your driving style will help.....most likely more than trying to run on 4 cyl.

If it is really a problem, buy a motorcycle, or find a closer job.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:19 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

I think a motorcycle is the way to go. To get to school and the second job, I have to go mainly interstate in insane traffic, so a moped sounds terrifying. Just a thought I wanted to bounce off you guys, it sounded too crazy to work. Tire pressure is around 25 psi, so I am going to bump that up some to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:21 PM

I second the motion for a motorcycle. You could find an old crappy one for real cheap. I got around on an 81' suzuki 550 for about $10-$12 a week in gas. Only spent $300 on the bike.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:25 PM

install K & N airfilter, check plugs, run some cleaner in the fuel....that is if not done all ready...muffler like Flowmaster probably will ad 1 mpg. light foot on the gas and try to make lights on green Yep,,,I am retired and it hurts at the pump, grocery, etc...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
OnlyINaJeepFAU

just curious, what does a small cc motorcycle get for gas miliage? I am kind of afraid of them and have never ridden one before, so I don't want a big crotch rocket, but just something to get from a to b cheap that can cruise down the interstate at 60 to 70 mph without being wfo.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:20 PM

just look in your local classified ads, you will find some redneck selling an old (1977ish - 1990ish)suzuki, kawasaki, or honda. Something like 500-750cc, in the ballpark of $400-$900. If it doesn't leak too much and seems to run, and you think that it will last a year or two. the savings in gas is worth it. Even if it craps out on you after a year you are really not at too much of a loss.

If you do this, you will obviously want to take some measures to ensure that it is safe, like new tires, new brakes, and take a good look at the chain and sprocket.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM

If your really worried about it get a bike or economy car, even a 90's New Yorker will do ~30mpg.. Then park the Rubi and use it on weekends.
Keith
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I bought a '74 Honda CB550 bike and it got 45mpg. It lasted just over a year and now it burns oil like a demon. I might keep it and do a ring job on it some day because its a pretty decent bike. Newer bikes, like a Ninja 250 can get close to 65mpg or more. I rented a Harley not long ago and it got 50mpg on a 1450cc engine. All bikes get good milage....some better than others. I've heard of some getting in the 80mpg range...but can't recall what it was.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Veteran

I had a 1992 Honda Civic VX that got (no joking) 47 mpg. The window sticker claimed 52 mpg, but I drove it like a race car. The VX was a special lightweight gas sipping model with extra high transmission gearing and thinner body panels. I got it cheap because it was dented up so bad it looked like a red golf ball. Sold it when I got my TJ, but I often wish I had it back. Great mileage and safer than a bike. Think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode