OT - Screens in truck windows for camping?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - Screens in truck windows for camping??

Did a little searching, couldn't really find what I'm looking for.

Does anybody know if anyone makes pop-in screens for windows of trucks?

I've got my groovy new 98' Suburban [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] and will be going camping in a few weeks out on Cape Cod. I'll be sleeping in the back of the Burb, and I'm looking for a pop-in screen that I can put in place of a rolled-down door window, for ventilation, and keeping out bugs. I wish the truck had wind-out windows like a VW camper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm considering making some screens with frames out of some aluminum channel and screen, or maybe altering some window screens or something, but I was hoping someone made such a thing.

Thanks for any help.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 AM

Re: OT - Screens in truck windows for camping??

Several years ago I saw what might be the ticket for you. They were nylon screen mesh and had strips of that flexible refrigerator magnet stuff glued or sewn around the edges. I think the magnets were cut into about 3" strips to conform to curves and allow the screens to be rolled up for storage.

I don't know whether they were commercial or home made, but a resourceful Jeeper like you should be able to make exactly what you need.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Jim, I thought about simple nylon screen, and magnets or duct tape -- I don't think there's that much, if any, exposed metal around the window openings to use magnets.

Then I thought some kind of framed screen that fit or snapped inside the window tracks would be better. If I can't find anything I'll have to try to fab up something. Seems like a useful product that someone would already make though.

Thanks.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Old Hand

I have thought about the same thing for my suburban but have not had the opportunity to look. If you find something, please let me know. On a side note, Heather and I slept in the sub, during an Ohio summer night, and were fairly comfortable with the windows up. We still ended up with quite a few bugs just from opening and closing the doors.

Another thing that I have wanted to look for would be a tent like devise that would connect to the back of the sub. Something that you could stand under and be out of the weather.-- Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Jim, I thought about simple nylon screen, and magnets or duct tape -- I don't think there's that much, if any, exposed metal around the window openings to use magnets.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, find some "no-see-um" netting (like is used for tents)... have some elastic sewn into the edges (kinda like a disposable hairnet) so it will fit over the weatherstripping lip on your side doors and rear hatch! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Way Outta Control

Another answer to this problem is sewing one side of Velcro into the edging of the screen, and using stick-backed Velcro on the other side stuck onto the inside of door/window frame.

It ain't elegant, but it works.

Just another off the wall idea to follow!

On my 8000 mile trip around the US this last month I purchased two Sun Screens that I put on the two back seat side windows.

They were made from nylon mesh that was sewn into a frame. The frame was made from very thin spring steel wire covered with material. The screen could be folded into a small circle and stowed into a little storage bag. It's a pretty neat little item. The screen diffuses the sun's rays so it's a little cooler on any passengers in the seats.

Now with a little spring wire, a little fabric and some fine nylon mesh, you could make your own screen that would fit into the window track.

That would eliminate magnets, Velcro, etc.. All in all it would be inexpensive, easy to make and store nicely.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

Another option is to buy some mosquito netting and rig it up inside the suburban so it rolls up around the inside or like Larry said, use some velcro and stick it to your headliner around the inside. I bet it would stick right to the felt they use fro the headliners.....down side is you have to be careful not to pull your headliner loose when you remove it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

All excellent ideas. Thanks guys! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I did check it out a bit more last night. Putting the screen OUTSIDE the window might be the ticket, rather than inside. The windows on the second row of doors on the 'Burb are almost perfectly square, with nice flat metal all the way around the window. Cut some screen material into square sections, epoxy on some strip magnet all the way around, roll down window, stick screen onto outside of door.

I'll have to hit the hardware store this weekend and see about getting some materials to experiment with.

Thanks again
Pete
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 PM

Sourpower....try: www.sportztrucktent.com

I've owned one for...jeez 6 years now...and absolutely love sleeping in the bed or my truck on my bedrug. www.bedrug.com

Jeez, i sound like a salesman, but in reality, i own both of these products, they have both exceeded my expectations, and both companies were great about any questions/warranty issues ive had. Totally pleased, which i know is rare, considering the amount of truck JUNK on the market today...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I just cut apart an old canvas tent yesterday and immediately thought of this post as I cut out the screened 'windows, which were still in real good shape.

Maybe they'd work for you? I cut most of 'em so there was still a couple inches of canvas around the screen, and the 'privacy' curtains still attached. Not sure on exact dimensions, but I'm sure they'd cover a 'Burb's door windows. Can you post or send me the dimensions... if you're interested? FWIW, the canvas colors are faded blue (around the screens) and curtains are faded yellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode