OT Old Craftman Compressor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT Old Craftman Compressor

I can get this compressor for about nothing. The motor needs work. Is it worth getting it. Anyone know if it would put out decent scfm? I don't have any model or part numbers etc. The motor is 3/4 hp at 3450RPM if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1446972-a7_1_b.jpg (36.1 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT Old Craftman Compressor

That thing is older than I am!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But if the tank doesn't leak, it could be useful (damn too much like me).

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well it supposedly doesn't leak and has a few new parts. It's on ebay not to far from me and is only $3.99. So if it stays cheap I think I'll get it. Heck, it's worth a few bucks at the scrap yard if I can't get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 AM

3/4 HP can pump about 1.8 SCFM at around 125 PSI. Enough for blowing up a tire, but would only run an air tool for a minute or two.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Jim Lou that is very good info. If 3/4 hp = 1.8 then 1 hp = 2.4 ....right?

So if I can find a 5 hp motor for relatively cheap I would have a decent air compressor. I'll have to look into the cost of a newer motor, that may turn the deal sour. Then again I'm a gambling man, if I can get that compressor for $5.00 I'm in.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Lou that is very good info. If 3/4 hp = 1.8 then 1 hp = 2.4 ....right?

So if I can find a 5 hp motor for relatively cheap I would have a decent air compressor. I'll have to look into the cost of a newer motor, that may turn the deal sour. Then again I'm a gambling man, if I can get that compressor for $5.00 I'm in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to bring you back here ,,,BUT,,, If that has a 3/4 horse motor on it. Then it may just be a 1 horse or possibly 1 1/2 horse compressor. even if you put a 10 horse motor on it you would still just get the CFM rating for the 1 or 1 1/2 horse compressor. The compressors are rated for a max CFM. the manufacturer can place any HP motor on them to get the pricing or energy consumption they want. Some times you can find a 2HP motor and it will have a 5HP compressor on it,, now that is the way to go, then you can up grade the motor to the 5 HP and get the max CFM from the unit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Gp'n that makes perfect sense. I think I'll still get it if it stays cheap then I could possibly mess around with different pulleys and such. Sometimes I even find big compressor pumps at the salvage yard that I could try. I figure even if it is a total bust I can scrap it for a few dollars.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:36 PM

What GP'n said. Kinda. Within limits you can put a larger motor on a compressor, change the pulleys, spin the compressor faster and get more output. Just like you can rev an engine higher and get more power out of it. Within limits. And it will certainly not be a linear relationship. Increase the compressor speed by 20% and you might only get a 10% increase in output. Putting a larger motor on it without changing the drive ratio will gain you exactly nothing.

Since you're dealing with Sears stuff you can probably assume that EVERY component in the system is stressed close to it's limit as delivered. Spin the compressor faster and it will probably not last very long. Besides more stress on the moving parts, a compressor system has to get rid of the heat generated by the compression. Compress more air, generate more heat, compressor runs hotter, compressor dies.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 12:35 AM

Even if the tanks leak they are easy to fix.

cut a nice hole around the leak and weld some new 16 gauge metal to patch the hole.

Do it all the time and never had a problem. Of course in about a month or two you might have another leak, but that is what the welder is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode