CRD dreaming.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

CRD dreaming....

Guys, I'm toying with the idea of converting over to a CRD from a Liberty in the future. I know they come only with a auto tranny right now. Does anyone know if any of the manuals will bolt up? I'm assuming this will require and adaptor... but, they have had diesel/manuals in European Jeeps for some time. Just turning the gears in my wee brain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CRD dreaming....

got no info, but you'd likely be the first to do it...at least areound here.....Take good notes on what you find so you can share with others later!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 PM

I'm guessing you'd have to get some computer programing done since the computer probably has controls for the computer. Might be a good idea to bring a case of beer to your jeep dealers parts department and do some searching for part number to see if parts are the same for gassers and diesels like bell housings and fly wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I'd get one with harness and ECU. The biggie is the transmission, etc. If I could live with an auto it would be simple... but, I can't. It would be a great opportunity to make my own biodiesel too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM

how do yoi plan on passing the gas emissions that your vehicle is registered under?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

That will require some investigation and probably lots of paper work... perhaps a similar route you'd take with a kit car. I have connections to people who will know. I'll be sure to get all the required info I need before I venture into this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Official Historian

Probably like CA. Swap in an engine newer than the chassis and meet emissions for the newer engine instead of the chassis' year.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Yep, just contacted the MA DMV. The engine has to pass emisions for the year it was manufactured.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The problem lies in that in New Jersey, there are no emission testing for diesels, only gassers. Now if you throw a diesel into a gasser, how will they check the emissions? They can't unless MA has diesel emissions. Just a thought. Maybe the DMV person you contacted isn't aware of the differences between the diesel and a gasser LOL.... I would want to make sure you got something in writting before spending all that time and money and finding out you'll have a problem getting it to pass inspection.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem lies in that in New Jersey, there are no emission testing for diesels, only gassers. Now if you throw a diesel into a gasser, how will they check the emissions? They can't unless MA has diesel emissions. Just a thought. Maybe the DMV person you contacted isn't aware of the differences between the diesel and a gasser LOL.... I would want to make sure you got something in writting before spending all that time and money and finding out you'll have a problem getting it to pass inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats the problem i see.
they will want to test it like the year gas motor it is, but your diesel will put out different numbers that may not even be in the ballbark of what your gas motor should pass at.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode