Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   MC Pushrod (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/212185-mc-pushrod.html)

csc_wyo 08-28-2005 10:11 PM

MC Pushrod

Long explanation to a quick answer...

I just picked up a brake booster w/ MC and proportioning valve from a guy here in CO. Trying to cut corners, I ended up at a dead end...I think. The brake line ports on the MC that came w/ the brake booster were on the engine side of the MC. My existing MC has the ports on the fender side. In order to save time bleeding the brake lines after the new booster/MC installation and switching over the brake lines, I thought I'd just attach my existing MC to the booster. Wrong. The existing MC pushrod extends through the firewall and attached to the break mechanism. The MC that came w/ the pushrod doesn't have a pushrod, just a pushrod from the booster.

Question 1A...Is there anyway to remove the pushrod from my existing MC?
Question 1B...Can I remove it w/o getting air into the MC?
Question 2....Can I keep the proportioning valve that's already on my jeep, or do I have to use the one that came with the booster/MC setup?

Like I said, was in a hurry and just trying to cut some corners here.

Thanks...

Jim_Lou 08-29-2005 07:41 AM

Re: MC Pushrod

Question 1A...Is there anyway to remove the pushrod from my existing MC?

Every one I've ever messed with could just be pulled out - only held in by the rubber boot.

Question 1B...Can I remove it w/o getting air into the MC?

Yep, no problem there, but you'll have to bleed the system anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Question 2....Can I keep the proportioning valve that's already on my jeep, or do I have to use the one that came with the booster/MC setup?

It should be fine as long as you're not switching to rear disks.

csc_wyo 08-29-2005 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every one I've ever messed with could just be pulled out - only held in by the rubber boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's definitely something holding the pushrod in the cylinder. There must be some kind of holding pin because there's no way in hell I can get that thing out of there.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, no problem there, but you'll have to bleed the system anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would I need to bleed the system? I wouldn't be taking apart any of the existing brakelines or the existing MC, just bolting the new booster to the existing MC. Ya got me all confused here...not hard though.

Jim_Lou 08-29-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's definitely something holding the pushrod in the cylinder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously I haven't messed with every one. The drawing in my FSM shows nothing at all holding the pushrod into the MC other than the rubber boot. Then a note says that the pushrod and boot are used with non-power brakes only.

The drawing of the MC/booster assembly doesn't show anything specifically holding the pushrod into the MC either, so it's hard to say why you can't get it out. My guess is that there's a snap ring down in there.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be taking apart any of the existing brakelines or the existing MC

[/ QUOTE ]

I misunderstood. I thought the MC was off the vehicle. Bleeding probably won't be necessary after all.

csc_wyo 08-29-2005 01:00 PM

Tonight I'm going to get western with that damn pushrod! I really don't want to replumb my brake lines and bleed the lines....AGAIN! Oh well...why would/should I expect anything to be too easy.

scrappy9 08-29-2005 04:10 PM

Isn't there a significant difference in the Manual MC and Power MC? I just swapped mine out entirely and bled my brakes again with fresh fluid.