Sorta OT: Cross-Country Trip HELP!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Sorta OT: Cross-Country Trip HELP!!!!!!!!!

Currently sitting in northern WY mountains - Big Horn Mountain Resort (between Cody & Sheridan, just W of Buffalo, WY) - w/ 'issues': engine keeps cutting out. Dealing w/ an AMC 401 in a '77 J-10.

Suspecting fuel issue... pump or filter.

Already 'stole' a fuel pump off old 360 and tried that... worked good for 20-30 miles then started acting up again. Pulled in here - where there were fuel pumps - and filled up (just in case it was faulty gas gauge) and backflushed the filter- quite a bit of small black grainy 'silt' came out, but I do not think it was enough to clog it. (Filter looks to be a pretty new NAPA gold.) Also checked fuel pump out put by sticking line into water bottle & cranking engine w/ coil disconnected. Got a 'reasonable' amt out, but did not time it or measure it exactly.

Since the above, I have not tried to drive down the road (kids eating now) but it seems to run okay. Won't really know til we try going down the road.

If we make it outa here, then it will have been filter which I will replace at first opportunity. If not, I will be back here shortly to see what other suggestions any of you may have.

As always, many thanks aforehand!

BTW, other than this and being a bit behind schedule, we're having a pretty good trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Sorta OT: Cross-Country Trip HELP!!!!!!!!!

Does that carb have a filter in the carb housing as well?

Does sound like a fuel issue. Last manual pump I had was pretty stout and pumped a good bit of fuel. Might be worth a wire and a electric pump in the tool box to be sure you are not stuck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:04 PM

A few months ago I chased that problem all around my CJ7. It turned out to be a pinched hose between the tank and the hard line forward. The hose was new but I had improperly installed it. A similar problem can be caused by an old hose that gets soft and can be sucked flat by the pull of the pump.

The relatively new fuel filter suggests that the P.O. might have been having problems and had changed filters in an attempt to correct it. It could be that the tank has a fair amount of sediment and is going to clog a bunch of filters before it's all cleaned out. Filters will hold much of what they colllect, and only let a small percentage be backflushed out. That's why they need to be replaced instead of just cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I had a problem with fuel filters clogging every tank of gas. So instead of a costly (and probably better long term fix) repair of dropping the tank and either replacing it or cleaning it out, I put in a marine grade fuel filter and water separator. Its about the size of an oil filter and screws onto a base that came with it. It was super easy to install and has been a few years since I've had an issue with filter clogging and I haven't had to change this filter out yet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 02:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

77? That makes it almost 30 years old.
Have the rubber fuel lines at the tank been replaced?
An old fuel line can be cracked enough to suck air, but now show any fuel leakage. Gives you the same symptoms as vapor lock.
Get underneath and move the fuel line that goes to the tank. If you see it get wet, that is your problem.

Next, I would agree with above.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 08:49 AM

carry a bunch of spare filters, I had a 73 Ford PU that had a bad tank,(2 tanks) when i used the bad tank it always clogged the filter i would replace it and it worked fine for awhile but it sound like the same symptoms.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Also, the fuel lines may be pinholed/crushed/rusted and sucking air.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for all the suggestions - good ones all.

Turned out to be the filter - once I flushed it, we were fine for the rest of the trip (more on that in a devoted thread thereto).

Once we got to the first town (Gillette, WY) w/ a auto parts store (Checkers), we picked up another fuel pump, and 3-4 filters... one of which is one of them see-thru types w/ replaceable filter elements which will be installed just before the OE-style filter.

Rest of the trip (~3500mi in all) went w/o further mechanical issue.... our good Lord surely blessed us on this adventure!

I'll be pursuing all suggestions above... checking old hoses, etc... and try to eliminate all that crud that is plugging up the filter. (Based on appearance when back flushing - caught it all in clean paper towels - it could very well be little bits of rubber hose that has hardened (carbonized?) and broken loose.

Thanks again guys!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Glad you made it back alright Jerry. Anxious to hear details of the trip. I'm sorry we didn't get to hook up along the way, but happy to hear you're o.k. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:28 PM

I was born and raised in that exact spot. Greybull, Wyoming. Good luck on the rest of your trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode