15 Gallon tank the same as 19 gallon tank?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Billybob015

15 Gallon tank the same as 19 gallon tank??

I think my fuel pump is going bad in my 97 TJ, so I was looking for replacement pumps (Just went to MOPAR and they wanted -$450- for a new fuel pump module) and I found this ebay auction that's selling a 19 gallon TJ fuel pump, but says underneath it "If you have a 14 gallon tank this fuel pump assembly will change you fuel capacity to 19 gallon. The 14 and 19 gallon tanks are the same. only the fuel pump is different." And those typo's aren't mine; they were from the page. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wran...1QQcmdZViewItem

This has got to be just a complete lie, right?

Also, is there any insight on how to put in an aftermarket external fuel pump? Or can you point me in the direction of finding a good one? I read that some of you think the E2000 is good, but I don't know what that is... Is it pulled out of a Ford?

***Edit: By the way, I have a 15 gal. tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Re: 15 Gallon tank the same as 19 gallon tank??

On the YJs, the 15 and 20 gallon tank were the same tank, the filler neck length just determined how much fuel you could put in the tank.
~However~ I do not know if that still applied for the TJs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:12 PM

A filler neck makes the difference between 15 gal and 20 gal? I'm not a genius but that seems like bs to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

naw its true...on YJs, i have heard mixed info abotut he TJs, but dont care enough to try to take it all apart on mine

its the inlet part of the tank....the tube extends into the tank down a bit so you cant effetively fill past it.......it can be removed entirely, or cut doen a bit to increas capacity

i bet you could keep Topping it off, but you have to do it sloooowwww so it doesnt splash back, i think the vent is high enough in the tank that it wont capture air and you can keep topping it off till it reaches the max capacity....

give it a try if you got a YJ...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
A filler neck makes the difference between 15 gal and 20 gal? I'm not a genius but that seems like bs to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's not being stated that's making it confussing for you is that the Filler neck extends down into the tank limiting how much fuel you can put in it.

Or at lest so I've been told.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Yep, sorry I didn't elaborate... on the YJ 15 gal tanks the filler neck extended down into the tank about 2-3 inches farther down preventing you from putting more fuel in... this was done so Chrysler didn't have to make two different tanks, just two diffent filler necks. So to increase the capacity you have to pull the filler neck out and cut off the excess... thus allowing you to put in more fuel. The only problem was if you didn't swap out the sending unit, your tank read full for a long time and then started to move once it got below 15 gallons.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem was if you didn't swap out the sending unit, your tank read full for a long time and then started to move once it got below 15 gallons.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you know before it gets empty, who cares.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 AM

True, true... but some people are picky about that kind of stuff.
'Course I never felt that motivated to change out the sending unit when I did it... and I forgot to tell the next owner [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode