wrangler TJ 4" lift and lots of torque steer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:03 PM
paulu5

wrangler TJ 4\" lift and lots of torque steer

Hi guys
I have just bought a lifted tj , and i have a serious torque steer problem, i can steer the car with the throttle even on our winding roads . the kit is a trail master short arm kit , but i am told that because all the kits come from the USA and UK cars are R/H drive some of the brackets are different . I measured the rear axle and it was 3/4 " of centre to the right ( looking at the back) i have now centred by re drilling the bracket but it's still does it allthough it's better . Is this something that can be cured or will i have to get used to it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Official Historian

Re: wrangler TJ 4\" lift and lots of torque steer

I think your problem is the combination of 4" of lift and still short control arms.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Right hand drive I assume?

If yes, where's the front trackbar attached?
For left hand drives - steering box on the left side (US style,) the front trackbar is attached to the axle on the right side, the other end is attached to the frame. The drag link is nearly parallel to it, or should be.

But if they are opposite, it'd torque steer like mad.

The rear trackbar - Left hand drive (US) - the axle end is on the left side, right end attaches to the right frame - just the opposite slant as the front.

Right vs left -- to avoid confusion - left side is on your left when you are SITTING INSIDE facing forwards.

Some folks think of it as the other way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
paulu5

thanks for that , the front trak bar is fixed to the frame on the right and axle on left but thr rear is opposite . since my last post i have also realised the front axle is 1" of centre because the fitters have re drilled the trax bar/axle mouting out of position. can u get adustable trak bars? , i have machine shop at my desposal so i was thinking of makeing an adustible turn buckle and welding it in the trak bar . do u think it would be safe?

cheers paul
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:39 PM

Yes, rubicon express offers adjustable trackbars that will take care of your off-center problem
their website is http://www.rubiconexpress.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Way Outta Control

RE makes a nice stout one and it's adjustable, not exactly a turnbuckle adjuster though.

I'm assuming you have the steering box on the right hand side? Right hand drive?

I thought a few years back your country switched over to driving on the right? No?

If the steering is on the left, that's the cause - the trackbars are backwards. The front trackbar needs to be as parallel as possible to the drag link.

With the axles offset in both directions, it's a wonder it's drivable at all. The offset affects the thrust angle - when you accelerate the rear axle wants to drive around the front. When braking it'll dive the other way.

Also - critical - make sure the axles are parallel as close as possible. Use a long stick - mark how far apart the axle tubes - front to rear at one side are. Then measure the other side. Even factory new the mounts can get put on out of position, or the arms can be misadjusted. First make sure the cam adjusters on the lower control arms are both set the same. Be fussy.

And - when getting the axles in line with each other - adjusting the trackbars - don't totally depend on how the wheels stick out from the body. It's an indicator, but not the final word. Sometimes the body is not quite on the frame square. A 1/4" difference is a big difference. Again, be fussy.

And of course - check all welds carefully! Jeep seem to have forgotten how to weld.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:06 PM
paulu5

Yes the steering box is on the right as is the frame mounting for the trak rod. I take it the drag link is the bar the steering rod mounts to? Regarding the trak rods obviously by jacking the car up 4" the angle is increased worsening the offset as the axle articulates. I suppose this could be eliminated by welding a longer bracket on the frame rail?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Way Outta Control

Theoretically if it's lifted 4", the pitman arm should be dropped 4" and trackbars should be lowered 4" as well. That keeps the relationships at the stock angles. Rear trackbar too.

But that's not always practicle. So drop them equally.

Getting them centered will make a huge difference too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode