What's an IAC sensor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What\'s an IAC sensor?

What does IAC stand for? had a suggestion that my ZJ issue, might be a dirty IAC sensor. It's the other sensor on the Throttle body besides the TPS. And what is it's purposes.

circled here in the attachment:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1436809-c21b.jpeg (40.2 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What\'s an IAC sensor?

not a sensor......its a motor with a lil valve

Idle air controller, it allows more air to by pass the throttle valve to control idle speed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Idle Air Control Valve I believe. Got something to do with controlling the air intake during idle. My Rodeo had some idle problems, took the IAC off and cleaned the carbon? deposits off it idle has been smooth since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Idle Air Control - motor

Symptoms include poor idle, stalling, off the line sag (stumble)

But not mid throttle power loss.
Once your foot is on the gas - the IAC is out of the picture.

HTH,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ya, I mentioned on the JU ZJ board that I had alos dropped it in Reverse and it stalled. and to just that, someone suggested cleaning the IAC. Seemed harmless to do and easy, so I did it before going home last night.

Good news I did get from the ZJ board is a link to a place that sells just the pump and not the whole assembly. pump alone, ~ $90, vs. whole pump assemebly at $200. I'll post the link in my other thread for future reference.

Other thread
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I mentioned on the JU ZJ board that I had alos dropped it in Reverse and it stalled. and to just that, someone suggested cleaning the IAC. Seemed harmless to do and easy, so I did it before going home last night.

Good news I did get from the ZJ board is a link to a place that sells just the pump and not the whole assembly. pump alone, ~ $90, vs. whole pump assemebly at $200. I'll post the link in my other thread for future reference.

Other thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, a Jeep doesn't have an IAC. In a Jeep, the part that does the same thing is called the Idle Speed Control Motor. The ISCM is nothing more than a stepper motor that controls a pintle. The pintle then opens and closes a hole in the throttle body. The hole is past the throttle plate. The ISCM takes it's orders from the ECM. The ECM senses a need for more/less air to maintain the 14.7:1 Air Fuel ratio, and opens/closes the ISCM pintle to trim the ratio.

Symptoms of failure usually is a racing/bouncing idle. The little ISCM is really very robust, and rarely fails. Simply removing it from the throttle body and cleaning it is normally a cure. Replacement is nice, but it costs money that usually you don't need to throw at the Jeep.

When I clean it, I pull it off and spray it with Wal*Mart Tech Carb Spray. This softens the carbon and washes away about 75% of the gunk. This little treatment is followed up with a good scrubbing of the pintle with scotchbrite. The scotchbrite burnishes the pintle and cleans it up slicker'n snot.

The same treatment is done for the whole throttle body at this time. It's not hard to do... so why not. The little hole that the pintle mates with/and plugs is often overlooked. It's subject to the same carbon build up. If you don't clean that hole then the pintle sometimes does not effect a good seal. Then the idle problems reoccur.

Does the ISCM effect the running of the Jeep in reverse? Nope... otherwise it'd do it also in froward gear. The problem described would have to be somewhere else... such as fuel delivery or perhaps a problem with engine load monitoring (MAP/MAF issues).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode