Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Got HEI dist. which drive gear do I use? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/2103-got-hei-dist-drive-gear-do-i-use.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 11-03-1999 02:14 PM

Got HEI dist. which drive gear do I use?

I got my HEI distributor that will go in my 87 yj 258. I tested it before buying and everything was like new. I also bought new plug wires specified for a Ford 300ci (4.9l) engine. Are this OK?
The only part i am missing to do the installation is the correct drive gear as I understand the gear in the HEI will not work on my 258.
Can i use the drive gear form my jeep distributor? What should I be looking for?
Where i got the HEI they gave me a free drive gear that is exactly as the one in the HEI but teeth are opposite. It is exactly the same size and was told it came form an older Rambler (AMC) 6 cyl engine but not specified which. Will this work? Can i use this gear? I already mounted it in the dist and it fits perfectly, but don't want to install it if there is a risk of damaging my engine.

Please help.

Pete88YJ 11-03-1999 05:06 PM

Re: Got HEI dist. which drive gear do I use?

Sounds OK to me. Find the links for the HEI swap, somewhere here. I do not believe you can use the gear off your 87 dist - the I.D. is not correct, and I guess it has a sloppy fit. I bought mine from 4WPW, it was like $25. The older V8 AMC engines had the correct gear, supposedly.

Can't help you much more than that. If the dist fits in, crank the engine manually a few times, and see if the dist spins. My guess is you should be OK.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

LooseNut 11-03-1999 06:22 PM

I think the drive gear they gave you is correct. It is supposed to be the opposite of the one on the HEI. The inside hole diameter is the thing. The one from your old one has too big a hole in it. The one you need looks exactly like it, but it fits tighter on the HEI's shaft. Supposedly the one from and AMC V8 or one from an older 6 cylinder (something like pre ' 75) will work.

The wires you bought should work just fine. I used ones from a ' 78 Fairmont. They work fine, but some are a little long.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

done 11-03-1999 08:13 PM

I don't know if the drive gear they gave you is correct, but you can buy the correct one for Wheel Hardware Hardware. Ask for the drive gear for an AMC V-8. I could not part number on their website and I gave away their catalog.