Off Roading Forums banner

O/T Need some help from the old guys...

1K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Bonecruncher 
#1 ·
What the heck do I do with one of these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly, I completely forgot that there was a probability this video would come on VHS not DVD.. Now I have to go and see if I can find a player for this thing in the basement.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Part 2 of the package.

This stuff is actually all kind of familiar to me.. I've had 3 or 4 transmissions that I've torn down into peices just so I can get used to the c-clips and overall layout of the thing.

Thankgod for people giving away th350s... or paying for me to take them away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

#4 ·
Hey, I know what to do with that! I have two VHS machines and a fine working Beta recorder, in case you have any old Beta tapes you need to have converted to VHS.

But what's a DVD? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif

Actually I know what it is - just got my first DVD player a couple of weeks ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#5 ·
If you don't know what to do with the VHS.......forget about messing with anything else that came in the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
take that for the old fart jokes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif

#6 ·
Without meaning to highjack the thread - this kinda goes along with the opening post.

One time at a yard sale, my kids saw a bunch of old 45's -
My son asked me why the holes were so big in those CDs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Couldn't stop laughing long enough to answer him for a while.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
....and a fine working Beta recorder,.

[/ QUOTE ]

beta reminds me... last flight I took down to Fla. and back I sat right next to teh compartment that had the video machines for their inflight saftey tapes and such. now this was a 767, not an old plane, the video eqiupment was BETA!

I couldn't help but think, if they can't even update to DVD... what else on the plane is that old... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've still got an 8 track in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gituar.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I still have an under the dash mount 8 track somewhere around here, don't have any 8 track tapes anymore though, I remember some of the old ones my dad liked to play:

Jim Croce- Time in a Bottle
Herb Albert and his Tijuana Brass - Can't remember the name of the album, but I remember the cover was a naked girl covered in whip cream and the music was basically strip music /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My old tapes were the typical Led Zep, Etc.

#11 ·
A young guy asked me awhile ago what kind of business we don't have locally. He's interested in starting something new.

After a few minutes I realized nobody around repairs 8 Tracks, phonographs, wire or reel to reel recorders, or mechanical adding machines.

#12 ·
Yep. They're dinosaurs. When cleaning out some closets I came across two IBM wide-carriage Selectrics. Called a typewriter repair shop in town to see if they wanted them. Answer: Yes, but not enough to come get them - only if I'd deliver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wire recorders - I can't recall ever even seeing one, but at least I know what they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#13 ·
The old consumer Beta format that you are all thinking of was called Betamax. The professional (and still widely used in the television industry) formats are Betacam, Betacam SP and Betacam SX, just to name a few. I work in a video post production house and we send all of our commercials to the local tv stations on Beta SP tapes. Wow, a topic I actually know something about! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Herb Albert and his Tijuana Brass - Can't remember the name of the album, but I remember the cover was a naked girl covered in whip cream and the music was basically strip music /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of all the Herb Albert with or without his Tijuana Brass why is that the one album everybody remembers? It's not even his best work.

Don't get excited, she was very pregnant when the picture was taken.

Don't know what you consider strip music. I've seen one or two peel to Tangerine but I wouldn't put Taste of Honey, Green Peppers, Lemon Tree, Peanuts, & Lollipops and Roses in that class.

If you run across a Brass Ring or Mexicali Brass album, I'd be interested.

#15 ·
Hey, I still have a Radio Shack 8-track recorder and about 100 hours of Polka music my dDad recorded when he was retired.

ALso have a Lear 8-track player and part one of "Wierd Seinces Inside the Gold Mine" 8-track cartridge.

#16 ·
Back in the days when I used to do electronics repair for a living, 8-Tracks were all the rage. But the 8-Track would be junk and not play after a few playings. So, here's a tip if you want to keep 'em running in tip top shape.

Sometimes cleaning the pinch roller won't help. Take the case apart and you'll see the main pinch roller will score against it's plastic axle. If you remove the scores and lube the axle/roller... it restores a lot of function!

Some may be interested in this site:

#17 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Out of all the Herb Albert with or without his Tijuana Brass why is that the one album everybody remembers? It's not even his best work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee I don't know, maybe because I was a yung un and there was a half naked women slathered in whipped cream, DUH!!, that album got the hormones working at that age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and the only reason i don't know the other albums, is because it was dads music not mine, so I didn't listen to alot, I just remember it sounding like stripping music /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

#20 ·
Mr. Leve, you've burst my bubble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have been forced to down grade you. Now I think that 99 and 44/100's % of what you know is useful information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Have any tips on how to punch an IBM punch card? Just kdding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

#21 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Leve, you've burst my bubble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have been forced to down grade you. Now I think that 99 and 44/100's % of what you know is useful information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Have any tips on how to punch an IBM punch card? Just kdding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I do... I used to work on 3M 908/918/968 High Speed Aperture card Duplicators (Similar to the one below) at Boeing Aircraft as a 3M vendor Engineer. These machines were designed by Wicks and Wilson in the UK, you can see that to the far right. It has a 978 Sorter underneath the reproducer.

Boeing duplicated over 125,000,000 IBM cards a year at the Renton facility and had over 20 of these machines in one room. The IBM cards had 35MM engineering drawings mounted in them with the card punches used for sorting via the Hollerith codes. The drawings contained all the aircraft parts information and were sent all over the world. The duplicators used a reader to read the original card, duplicate the 35MM film chip, and punch the Hollerith code on the new card with a comb punch assembly.

It was a full time job for 4 engineers just to try to keep up with their production.

So... what would you like to know about punching those holes?

I don't want to disappoint you... so see... some of my knowledge is still usable!

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Why did the older machines do what newer ones can't?

Hanging chads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Older machines aren't necessarily better. It all depends on the engineering that builds the quality into the machine... and not inspected into it afer final assembly.

The famous Hanging chads are simply a function of sharp knives and a good die to receive the knife. If the knife is not sharp the punch will be more of a tear. It's a case of blunt trauma to the card. If the punch die is worn then the knife is not centered well within the die and material can be missed, leaving the punch hanging by a few fibers from a corner.

Then there's the comb assembly that moves the knife up and down within the punch, or knife bed. When this wears, it's a nightmare... and it's not a case of if.

Of course there's the humidity... if a card is not opened up to the local air about 24 hours before use, then they swell and can't reliably be transported though the assembly because they're too thick.

And I haven't even talked about hardening the card via chemical dip to keep transport wear at a minimum.

All these factors lead up to cost. To reliably transport the card through the assembly, duplicate/punch the card and sort it takes a lot of mechanics. The material for the assemblies are not cheap. Most cost savings comes in speeding up the transport, digitally printing the card Hollerith characters and better computerization of the varied sub routines that produce the final product.

Many customers are not willing to buy quality, so their products hang on a chad. And that spells only one word: Trouble.

#25 ·
I have now learned far more about 3M 908/918/968 High Speed Aperture card Duplicators then I ever thought I would. (And to think my wife calls this sport/web site a waste of time)

I have many fond memories of family trips in the old ford cabover motorhome singing Kingston Trio songs from the 8-track. (I can't believe I just admitted that.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.