Just wanted to tell you about my day (Jeep related - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to tell you about my day (Jeep related

Sunday, the kid who used to live on the end of my block came over while I was away. He recently bought an '88 YJ and the radiator leaked. Since mine has been sitting around for a while he wanted to know if he could buy the radiator out of it. My mother gave him my cell phone and said that if I didn't sell him mine, I'd know where to get one cheap or where to get his repaired.

Monday, he dropped by the house and I took him and his busted radiator to a good, quick, cheap repair shop. We dropped it off after a $40 quote and I took him to my favorite junkyard to look for sports-car seats to put in his Jeep. I also showed him what to look for on the Full-size Jeeps and other vehicles who's parts are relatively cheap upgrades. He mentioned that he was looking for some 33s to put on his Jeep, and I mentioned that I have some for sale. He said he could come over Wednesday to check them out.

Tuesday he picked up the radiator, took it home and installed it, and went 'wheeling. His Jeep has a SOA but only 30" tires and the 4x4 wasn't working. He got stuck, found someone to pull him out, and learned not to 'wheel alone.

Wednesday (today) he came over around noon. I took him to my storage unit and dug out the rims and tires that came with my XJ (4.5" lift, 4.10s, 401v8).

We put the tires in his truck and drove out east to where his dad was painting a house. They haggled me down a little in price before buying the tires. We drove out to his house where I inspected his $1400 pride and joy. It has a well-done SOA, with stud-to-eye converters for the shocks, braided SS brake lines, a small t'case drop, etc. We swapped the 30s for the 33s and the Jeep looked much more proportional. Next, I tracked down his 4x4 problem: the vacuum-supply line to the t'case was disconected- presumably when the PO did a nice job swapping in an older non-comp. Carter BBD. Some vacuum hose re-routing and a couple zip-ties later and the 4x4 was functional again.

A day after he'd bought his Jeep he found a soft-top and frame lying in the trash by the side of the road. It's very well-worn but still serviceable, but he didn't know how to put it on and very seriously botched it up. We pulled it off and put it back on the correct way, re-attached some things with self-tapping screws, and decided it was time for a test-drive.

He let me drive his Jeep on the road to a large field, and I must admit it drove pretty well. Decent power from the 6-cyl/5spd (even with 3.07s), and the handling wasn't scary at all. It did sway around a bit, but that was to be expected. Once at the field he drove and did some easy 2-wheeling. The shifter for the t'case is pretty messed up and still needs some work. We did get it into 4-low at his house, but it took some hammering and kicking to get it back to 2wd.

All in all, a good days wrenching on someone elses Jeep....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Just wanted to tell you about my day (Jeep related

Good for you Psycho! Great way to help out a new Jeeper (&) kid... to keep him 1) away from con artists, 2) thereby protecting him & keeping him in the sport, 3) giving him a good hands-on edumication in basic Jeep maintenance/repair, and 4) just being a general friend & mentor to a newbie.

I salute you! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] That we may all be so noble and of good works! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode