98 TJ Tranny Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

98 TJ Tranny Problems

I have a 98 TJ with a 4.0 I6. im not sure what tranny it has in it, but whatever one it is sux! 2nd throwout bearing in 9 months and reverse makes some crazy noises. I need to get it all fixed cause this is my daily driver. cant stand drivin my old 82 toyota 2wd pickup. should i Rebuild the tranny?? have someone rebuild it?? buy a new [email protected]$$ tranny?? if so which one?? im confused as all hell. my friend that use to help me with all this passed on a few months ago and im lost in the jeep world without him. any suggestions would be great. thanx alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 98 TJ Tranny Problems

well do what you can afford....the most cost effective is doing it yourself

you said throwout bearing so yous gots a manual tranny....so thats the AX-15 transmission...which is a good-enough for most people transmission....

look at part stores and get qoutes on rebuild kits, then get qoutes from other place to have it done....

remember the reverse isnt syncronized.....so its always gonna make some sort of weird noise or something when you go into the gear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What kind of noises and are you sure throw out bearings is what you are replacing? They are usualy fine unless they get a bunch of dirt or something is not running right. Just from what was said I would be more concerned with the clutch system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sometimes it's difficult to tell a pilot bearing problem from a throwout bearing or transmission input bearing problem apart.

While the noises are pretty creepy... it's that vibration that comes up to the seat that's disturbing.

Try to describe when and how you get those nasty vibes.

Rebuilding a manual transmission and the clutch isn't too bad... as with all things it only takes time, money and a wide selection of hammers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Rebuilding a manual transmission and the clutch isn't too bad... as with all things it only takes time, money and a wide selection of hammers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And with an automatic it only takes time, money and a wide selection of snap-ring pliers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

well reverse makes a really loud popping noise. one that can be heard from across the wal-mart parkin lot. also when in reverse it seems like a tooth is gone or messed up. it kinda just snaches into gear for each pop. the cluch stuff makes alot of noise at low rpm and alot more noise when the clutch is pushed in. like a really bad screechin sound. my buddy that use to help me with my jeep said the reverse was the slide gear and not to worry bout it till its goes. well its worse then it ever was so i just parked it cause i dont need it tore up any more then it is. so yawl say the ax-15 is not to bad to get into??? im purty good at workin on stuff, but i dont want to open it up and spings or something go flyin everywhere. yeah where is my BFH (Big F##**n Hammer)???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode