Clutch Pedal Return - Help Please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 AM
GarageTech

Clutch Pedal Return - Help Please

OK, here's the dumb question for the day. '93 Jeep Wrangler YJ. Was doing just fine until maybe 3 weeks ago when the clutch pedal began to "sag". Rather than returning up to the same height as the brake pedal, it was hanging a couple inches lower. It has dropped a little further every day since. At this point it appears to be so close to the floor that there is not enough "throw" to completely disengage between gear shifts. Can't always get through the gears without grinding.

Where to go from here? Is there a return spring that may have weekend or broken? A cable that might be stretched? A fluid resevoir (similar to brakes) that might be low or have sprung a leak? Other? I'd like to think it was not in the clutch itself since the transmission was just out of the Jeep about a year ago and estimated to still have 75% of it's life left.

It does not slip (even under stress of quick take offs or pulling of a boat). It simply seems like the dang pedal is not being returned. The pedal can be effortlessly "lifted" with a toe, but drops freely back to it's sagging position.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Clutch Pedal Return

you have a hydrolic clutch that has a problem. Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder on the firewall (near the brake master cylinder)and then look underneath for dripping fluid. pray it's not the slave cylinder for the cluth as they are a PITA to change.
ALWAYS ALWAY ALWAYS put in a new clutch and throw out bearing when you have the tranny out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 10:27 AM
GarageTech

Re: Clutch Pedal Return

Excellent, I'll check it out. Thank you. I did not change the clutch when the work on the tranny was done simply because I had gotten 145k miles out of 25% so it seemed as though I had a lot of life left. Can these parts (hoses, master cylinder, and/or slave cylinders all be purchased at autoparts stores, or are they OEM specific? Assuming no obvious leakage, how does one test a master or slave cylinder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode