Wrangler or XJ 4.0 for my Scrambler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Wrangler or XJ 4.0 for my Scrambler?

B/c of a supposed cheap local source for used 4.0's, I'm thinking I'll swap one into my DD Scrambler. Obviously I'll get the best one I can, but all else being equal, do I grab a Wrangler engine (set up for a mechanical fan) or an XJ (set-up for an electric cooling fan)? What's the preferable cooling system for a DD?

If XJ/electric, grab the XJ fans (and maybe radiator?), or use the Taurus fan sitting in the garage?

Anybody got the specifics or a template for positioning/drilling the bellhousing-mounted CPS 'mount'?

Many thanks aforehand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wrangler or XJ 4.0 for my Scrambler?

Jerry,
I'd get the wrngler one. I put a 2001 XJ 4.0 into a CJ once and there was some added confusion from the power seats, power wondows, poweretc etc etc...
All that stuff gets owered from the very crowded distribution box under the hood, and the XJ had 2 seperate fuse boxes that made the wireing more difficult.
I wouldn't attempt tho drill the CPS hole (like I did) I would just get the hesco relocation kit (like I ended up having to do anyway) or simply swap in a later model tranny.
If I were putting all this into a DD scrambler, I'd have a the 4.0 from a wrangler and the new 4 speed auto bolted to it with a d-300 behind that. The thought of that rig makes me drool...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks Chris. Good to know about all that other 'stuff' adding (unnecessarily) to the already confusing-enough wiring. (I'm confused enough as it is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], "added confusion" I do NOT need!)

Also good to know about the CPS issue. I did not think it was going to be 'that hard' to do... but if it challenged you, I'm guessing it's w-a-a-y over my head at this point.

I 'wanted' to do the 4.0/AW-4 swap, but kinda gave it up when I saw that it entailed lengthening/shortening my driveshafts... figuring it'd be easier & cheaper to just do the CPS 'locating thing' myself.

My understanding is that most of the 4.0's @ this "cheap yard" are mostly XJ's... so I'm going to have to go look and hope I can find a Wrangler, or lacking that, maybe a base model Cherokee. (I'm also hoping - but realistically not expecting - to find an OBDI-era motor to keep it as simple as possible.)

So then, if I do have to 'settle' for an XJ 4.0, should I 'convert' it to mechanical fan config, or leave as-is w/ electric set-up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

I went with the XJ 4.0L. I also went with the Hesco relocation kit as well as their engine wire harness. The harness is expensive, but it was so easy to wire up. I think 4 or 5 wires to splice into the CJ harness and I was done. I used the CJ radiator and the stock XJ fan,and have zero cooling issues.
Another on this board, sevensandeights, put a XJ 4.0L into his scrambler and used the stock XJ harness. He might be able to talk you through the wiring if you go that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode