Kind of a wild vehicle idea... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Kind of a wild vehicle idea...

I'm sure most of you have seen this: Rhino RTV
Anyway, I was wanting to put together something like this throughout the course of the next few years. It WILL be a huge challenge for me but it is something that I really want to do. I am thinking of starting out designing the frame for it. I need some advice on how to go about the design: Where to start, what to use(Autocad, rhino, etc.) and whatever else you can think of. What I invision is a two seater with decent speed for the dunes but I also want it to be a crawler. Ideas, thoughts, opinions?
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: Kind of a wild vehicle idea...

Sorry, kinda left something out. I was thinking about pulling the 4.3L V6 and 700R4 out of a mid 90's s10. Haven't really decided on the t-case or axles yet but I will wanna run 35-37" tires with discs front and rear. Probably front steering(maybe rear too). Coil overs with 4 link front and rear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ya, they had them at the Dixie Run '04 this past October. Pretty cool, but from what I heard, repeat what I heard, they didn't fair to well at Tellico. But they sure look like a ton of fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

theres some books you can get at the library on race car chassy design, skim for ideas,

if you arent an engineer i would suggest just taking thier choice of material for your frame start with a rough idea of how you want it then design your main frame that everything else attaches too.

i think whatever you use to design will work fine so long as you are consistant and pay attention to details....hell, pencil and graph paper would still be a perfectly fine way of doing it.

most of all i would mooch ideas from other vehicles...like the rhino....and other buggys/gokarts/ATVs/etc......becasue they did all the engineering for you....no sense in re-inventing the wheel
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ooh, one other thing,.......

i saw this somewhere but i dont recall....could be rhino even....

someone took a japanese import car motor & transaxle and turned it sideways in the buggy.....

that way what normally goes to passenger or driver side front wheels now goes to front or rear differential of the axle....

i imagine they welded spider gears or installed a locker/limslip/whatever in there

not really low gears but no reason you cant toss in a plantary or homemade gear box of sorts

just a neat idea methinks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I know the Rhino uses a honda 4 cylinder 2.0 but the specs only say a 4 speed auto. Like I said, for power in the dunes, I was thinking a little bigger like the 4.3L. I was thinking about using the transaxle like you said but again, the power issue comes into play. Still something to think about though. I am planning on just gathering parts as I go and kind of throwing it all together. As I accumulate parts, I will change the frame style, etc. but still have a base model to work with. I also found that Rhino makes a 2 seater. My only problem is that these things cost 25 Gs! So to challenge myself, I am building my own. What is the going rate for DOM tubing, anyway? That will probably be my biggest expense since I will probably find some old wrecked donor vehicle down the road sometime. Pretty excited to take this on.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml

they are a lil $$ but its a good way to guage prices
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 PM

priate4x4.com is your friend, sounds like you want to build your normal run of the mill tube buggy. If you want ideas about a super light rig search for the bug. 4.3/700r4 is a good cheep combo, i've bought a 4.3/5 speed running/ driving s10 for $110 and a 4.3/700r4 blazer that hadn't run in a year for $50, they are all over the place up here, i saw probably a dozen for sale along the side of the road this weekend.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Sweet. I went to that website and looked up varoius lengths and sizes. Seems like it aint too cheap for 8' of DOM tube. 60 bucks for some 1 1/2". Can't remember how thick the walls are but that seems expensive. That'd be nice to pick up an s10 for that cheap. I'll have to do some searching. Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
BMB
Veteran

[ QUOTE ]
i saw this somewhere but i dont recall....could be rhino even....

someone took a japanese import car motor & transaxle and turned it sideways in the buggy.....

that way what normally goes to passenger or driver side front wheels now goes to front or rear differential of the axle....

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a similiar setup at Windrock a few weeks ago, but it was a two passenger version. It was light, maneuverable, and flexy, but it did suffer breakage too. The first day I saw it it bent up a rear arm pretty good and the second day it snapped the rear driveshaft in two. The bad part was there no apparent way to disconnect power to the shaft, so it had to drive flailing the underside, and I think oil pan, with the broken stub.

If think if you kept it on less rocky terrain it would be lots of fun.

BMB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode