TJ overheating with winch covered... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

TJ overheating with winch covered...

When i put the vinyl cover over my warn hs9500, the jeep over heats. its a 00 TJ, 4.0/5spd. I replaced water pump, t-stat, radiator (3-core). So are there any other options besides leaving the cover off?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: TJ overheating with winch covered...

Have your chemically flushed the block?

Can you lower the winch between the frame rails?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

what temp t-stat are you useing

the i think 195* is stock, but 180* are available.....might even find some lower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

i guess i should back up a bit. about a year ago, i got in some deep mud that somehow got into the radiator (though the overflow i assume) and the jeep over heated. so removed the radiator, pressure washed the outside and flushed it internally. it still ran hot so, i replaced the tstat and bought some preston radiator flush. after a few weeks, the fluid was brown again so i flushed it several more times and it still ran hot. so i had it professionally flush at a radiator shop, replaced the water pump (it was leaking), put in a new tstat, and bought a new 3 core radiator. I haven't had any problems since. but sat, i threw the cover on the winch, went driving down the road (with a/c on) and next thing i know, the idiot light is on and the gauge was in the red. i turned on the heater to cool it down. took off the winch cover and had no problems since (even with a/c on) so my conclusion was that little extra area that the cover blocks is apparently the difference and if everyone that has a TJ, must leave their winch uncovered! am i wrong?

thanks
shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I bet you still have mud on the outside of the radiator. We run our TJ's throughserious trails with NO airflow out here in well over 100* temps with no problem. lsat weekend I had to turn the A/C off when I was getting it on an obstical on jackhammer in 97* temps...
what I'm saying is... theres something up if you are running hot and it's not the winch cover
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 PM
VooDuu_Child

You might also think about sticking an electric fan on there. They cool way better than the stocker in everything from crawling to freeway speeds.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

i have not been in mud since replacing the radiator, so i am sure that it isn't plugged. i have not had any problems of it running hot (needle is always straight up- 220*F) until the winch cover incident. has anyone run with a winch cover on a TJ?

thanks
shawn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
have not been in mud since replacing the radiator, so i am sure that it isn't plugged

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the condenser coils, if they are plugged you STILL will not get enough air flow to the radiator. Maybe just enough to keep it cool till you block off a little more flow. Keep in mind the hot water drops in the top of the radiator and the heat exchange happens as the water is passing through from top to bottom. Block off the last portion of the radiator in the cooling process and you will get a slow exchange, if the top half has an air restriction as well (mud) you may not get any exchange. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Pooh-Bah

220 seams a bit hot to me, but I don't have one of them newfangled TJ things.
Have you checked the Tstat to make sure it is opening all the way (or at all). Put it in a pot of hot water on the stove and keep an eye on it. It may be possible that it isn't opening all the way, but the new 3 core radiator is still keeping it in operable temps (220?) until the airflow is restricted.
FWIw, my 258 with a lot of mods runs at +-200 no matter what the outside temps are.
That is with a 180 tstat, 4 core rad, and new water pump. My winch is in front of it too, but no cover.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Uh..... just to check, you do still have a fan shroud on that jeep, right? It'll make a HUGE difference. It pulls air from the WHOLE radiator.

Just trying to ask obvious questions.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode