Any Other replacements for the AX-5 ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Any Other replacements for the AX-5 ?

are there any other swaps to replace the AX5?

i think mine might die sooner than i can afford a tow rig / NP435 swap.

im looking for:
1)at least somewhat streetable gears
2)tougher than AX-5 (hopefully keep the tranny if/when engine swap occurs in the future)
3)doesnt require fancy lube like the ax5
4)not too much longer/shorter than stock so i dont have to get new drive shafts

then with a tougher tranny i can get the 4Low kits or something later for uber-low gearing, and then i can still drive on the street since it may be a while till i can trailer

suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM

Re: Any Other replacements for the AX-5 ?

nv4500, works with chevy and mopar motors, dodge ones have a 23 spline round 6 output (pretty sure on that) that bolt to your 231 if you swap in a 23spline input gear (easy). Novak has good info on their site about it. Much more streetable then a 4 speed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

i thought 4500 was a lot longer? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

i may have heard wrong....which is prolly the case

whats the length of a 4500 compared to ax-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

did a search and found the lengths....the 4500 is 2" longer w/o adapters....

other opinions/options?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 4500 is a fine transmission there is no question about that. But it does require a very fancy lube, and I seem to recall that it is very expencive.
Also notable, the 4500 isn't all that much longer than the Ax-5, but it is massive in the other direction. It is also very tall, you would need to install a body lift to fit it, or cut our a LOT of your floor.

I am not saying that the NV4500 is a bad swap. I think it is pretty much the end all of transmissions, and if I could afford one, I would have my own. But as far as swaps go... That is a tricking and very $$ one.

The poor 2.5L doesn't lend itself to very many swaps... Take a look at POR, there have been some interesting articals on how to swap an AX-15 behind a 2.5L That would probably be a pretty good set up, if you could get a transfer case at the same time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't waste your time with an ax15 if you want it to last behind a v8.

When i was looking at granny 4 speed vs nv4500 swaps several cost things i found were

The nv4500 but low miles ready to go with warenty trans are avilable compared to granny 4 speeds that i would re-build before installing. You don't need a trans to t-case adapter if you use a dodge trans. They are tough as nails. NV4500 avilable with a 5.6 and 6.3:1 1st (not 100% sure on those numbers), the 5.6:1 would probably not be too low to use on the street with your 4 popper to make up for you 4.10's. Synconized 1st and reverse are the way to go.

It is bigger and will require floor cutting or a body lift but just about any heavy duty trans will, there's a reason they are big.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:56 PM

What about a NV3550. Its whats in my rubi and I like it, no problems yet. A little easier to install than a NV4500 and probably a little easier on the road. Its definetly a good medium tranny. Can handle V8 power but in a light weight package. Here check out this article on the AX5 to NV3550 swap
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

thanks for the link, Matt...just what i was looking for

the 3550 was what i was considering before but someone told me it wasnt all that great and i should go beefier.

if i get a junk yard tranny it wouldnt be toooo bad priced. hell for the entire kit they have there that includes clutch and everything still isnt THAT bad.

so whats the lube, anything special ?
and what are the rest of ya'lls opinions on the 3550...since last time i mentioned it people said it wouldnt be a good idea (if i remember right)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:27 PM

I dont really know why the NV3550 would be a bad idea. I would like to hear why too. I guess it really all depends on what you got, what you want, and what your going to do with it.

Lube for the NV3550 is about $10/Quart. It takes 2 Quarts. I did tons of hours of researching the web and here is what I got, only the mopar stuff and Pennzoil synchromesh meet all the specs for the NV3550 and I had found lots of people that used Redline, Amsoil, and other brands and had lots of issues with shifting and grinding and making lots of noise so I just spent the $10 qt and got Mopar stuff plus I could not find any store around central Mississippi that had Pennzoil synchromesh. Peoria IL you might have better luck.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
What about a NV3550. Its whats in my rubi and I like it, no problems yet. A little easier to install than a NV4500 and probably a little easier on the road. Its definetly a good medium tranny. Can handle V8 power but in a light weight package. Here check out this article on the AX5 to NV3550 swap

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a guy in Greenwood, IN that sells NV3550 setups on eBay... do a search back about 6 months and see if you can't find the link I put up. Would be happy to check him out (intended to back then).

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode