Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Dana 30 axle shaft removal (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/208988-dana-30-axle-shaft-removal.html)

Warthog 05-22-2005 10:47 PM

Dana 30 axle shaft removal

hey guys,

is there any way to remove the axle shafts out of the 30 without removing the 36mm hub bolt? i'm sure i've seen pictures where the whole assembly has come out as one piece.

thanks for the help

Warthog 05-23-2005 12:31 AM

Re: Dana 30 axle shaft removal

bump

Infernozx 05-23-2005 01:38 AM

Take the knuckle off as a unit?

Why not just take off the hub nut?

mach2_nh 05-23-2005 02:37 AM

yes. there are 3 bolt that hold the hub on. you get at the from the back. Have fun..

80cj 05-23-2005 07:57 AM

yep, 12pt 12mm(i think)socket. 3 bolts. plus 2 for the brake caliper. really pretty easy.

shawn

mbalbritton 05-23-2005 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yep, 12pt 12mm(i think)socket. 3 bolts. plus 2 for the brake caliper. really pretty easy.

shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

13 mm if I'm not mistaken.

YJ,XJ,TJ, ZJ all come out real easy.

1. remove wheel
2. remove caliper by pulling two bolts from back side
3. remove 3 12 point 13mm bolts from backside of knuckle
4. pull Shaft out with the hub assembly.

NOTE, pulling the hub can be a serious PITA if it hasn't been out before. I've worked on two in one day, One fell out after remove the hub bolts, the other had to be beat out with a slap hammer and took about 30 minutes of beating cussing catching my breath and cussing some more.

When you do get them out, clean up both the hub and the knuckle and anti sieze it before putting it back together. that way next time they will fall out.

Warthog 05-23-2005 12:12 PM

alright, thanks for all the help guys. sorry should have said i had already taken out those three hub bolts, and the caliper. i have already tried taking a slid hammer to one of them and it didn't move at all. gonna have some fun i guess [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

mbalbritton 05-23-2005 01:19 PM

get some PB Blaster and soak that hub and knuckle contact surface. and keep hammering. If you have a chisle, you can hammer that between the two to try and get it started to separate. Like I said, It's a bitch, and be sure to clean that contact area on botht he hub and the knuckle and Anti-Sieze it. then you won't have to go thru this again.