258 mech. fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

258 mech. fuel pump

When a mechanical fuel pump dies, is it normally quick and painless (works one day, then completely shot the next) or can it die a slow, painful death (cuts out occassionally, then works fine for a while, cuts out again, etc)?

The engine died in the middle of the road the other day (Friday night). I got it tugged home about 12 hours later (yesterday morning) and finally got a chance to take a look this morning. When i opened the carb lid, the fuel bowl was empty (It shouldn't dry out that quickly, should it?). So I undid the line going into the fuel filter, and cranked the engine - got decent squirts of fuel. Same with the line on the downstream side of the filter, and got decent amounts of fuel. Hooked everything back up to the carb, left the lid off and cranked, and fuel was flying into the bowl. Put it all back together, and now it's running fine (well, it's running the same as it was on Friday morning [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])...

So what do you think? Pump? Filters (2 - stock one and the one which screws into the 2100 carb)? Crap in the line that worked it's way out (and is now going to plug up my filter and cause this to happen all over again)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:40 PM

Re: 258 mech. fuel pump

Mine dies all at once. Doesn't leak externally or in the engine. Just quits pumping fuel. I've never seen one do this before but my 258 won't go over 8 months on a pump. Thats why I put an electric inline too. Mine did the same thing to me about a month ago.......again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So I don't know what to tell you other than mine dies instantly too and carry a spare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:42 PM

Just reread your post again. Sounds like your float or needle valve might have stuck closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
Mine dies all at once. Doesn't leak externally or in the engine. Just quits pumping fuel. I've never seen one do this before but my 258 won't go over 8 months on a pump. Thats why I put an electric inline too. Mine did the same thing to me about a month ago.......again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So I don't know what to tell you other than mine dies instantly too and carry a spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could a plugged return line cause that? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:34 PM

DOn't know Larry........never had one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Old Hand

Ya on my old 258 the float needle would stick. Was a pain in the rear. The carb would empty the bowl then die. I just got a new needle and never looked back.

NOTE: A better carb would work to. And you would be better off . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the one which screws into the 2100 carb

[/ QUOTE ]

Which filter is this? The little external screw in type that the hose plugs onto? If so these filters are notorious for fouling and plugging off the fuel delivery.
You will be running down the road and it feels like you ran out of gas and then the motor dies try and try to restart and its not going to happen. Let it set about an hour and it will fire right up and run OK for about 30 minutes to an hour depending on what stuck in the filter then it will plug off again.

If this happened and you let it set without trying to restart after it set for awhile then the carb bowl would be empty due to burning all gas out and then the pump not working to refill it till after you had pulled it down and tried the pump.

The filter is cheap and when I had that filter on my truck I carried several as spares all the time, (had an issue with one of the truck gas tanks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode