Crash course in 4cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Crash course in 4cyl

My brother wants to go look at a Jeep tomorrow to buy. He's almost exactly the same age as I was when I bought my first Jeep. (16,1/2)

Anyways, he's found on 3+ hours away that were going to go check out. Its a 1990 4cly, 170,000kms on the clock. hardtop, hard doors, softtop, softdoors. Good body, good frame.. bla bla bla.. $3000 CDN.

Seems like a good deal to me. I'm gonna do the whole "kick the tires" thing for him.. and then get underneath the thing and do the whole "I actually know whats going on under here, so there better not be any funny stuff" buisness.

I've driven a 4cly before.. and know what it should feel like, but I've never worked on one. Any typical trouble spots? stuff to look out for?

Buddy (owner) says that the temp sender for the fuel injection system.. (the one in the manifold) just died.. so its running rich right now. Anyone got a ballpark figure on a new one.. might help with the purchase price. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TIA guys.

Crossing my fingers for another jeep in the driveway..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Crash course in 4cyl

owned 4 cyl since 95, onl problem was a bad cat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Crash course in 4cyl

Well...

Went to look at it today, it was looking promising, until I noticed the e-brake had a bungee holding it up... hm.. normally the springs in the drums are strong enough to hold it..

So I trace the cable back looking for a break or otherwise, and find the bracket just infront of the rear drivers spring hanger is broken off.. no biggie.. wait. its really mushy.. grab the frame to swing myself out and go grab some tools to poke at the frame iwth and check for rust... when a peice of rusted frame the size of a small US state comes off in my hand, reducing the frame behind the t-case to a full 1/2 of its previous mass.

Ooops.. Needless to say, we passed on that one.. not before popping the hood before starting it, and noticing that the exhaust was piping hot... tricky skuzzy buddy had pre-warmed the engine..

The frame came appart like a wet pre-sliced 99cent loaf of bread... I've only ever seen rust that bad on a toyota before, really wasn't expecting it to be a problem.

I think my brother wants a Cruiser now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode