Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   ball joints (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/208964-ball-joints.html)

unhumen 05-22-2005 01:08 AM

ball joints

Anyone Know if you can change the ball joints without disconnecting the tie rod ends? I have one of those handy dandy ball joint presses ,Like a big "C " clam. But will the Knuckle swing out past the axle end to get at them ?

Rio_Grande 05-22-2005 05:45 AM

Re: ball joints

Alot easier to disconnect them, but ya, I guess theoreticaly it is possible.

WILL 05-22-2005 11:48 AM

If you look in the HELP section of the parts store, they have new tie rod end boots if that is what you are worried about.

OlllllllOCJ 05-22-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you look in the HELP section of the parts store, they have new tie rod end boots if that is what you are worried about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he needs to know how to take tie rod ends apart and not destroy them. Very possible if they aren't too old.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale

unhumen 05-24-2005 03:10 AM

Yeah I pretty much just don't want to gouge them up, taking them apart again if I don't have to. I did put antiseize on them when I put them back together, so maybe they will seperate easier this time. I bought a set of the uruthane boots, but I didn't care for the fact they didn't seal like the rubber ones did.

Just a note, I sprayed it down with PB blaster a few times before doing the job it never penetrated down inside the joint.And I swear by PB Blaster.

jeepnut_nh 05-24-2005 04:01 AM

im just wondering why anyone would go through the expense and effort of replacing ball joints, yet leave the same tie rod ends in place......maybe its me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]...i absolutely HATE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]front end work, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] so if i have to pull ball joints, i eat the extra $50 or so and replace everything---then get it lined up

Rio_Grande 05-24-2005 04:06 AM

If it is not broke don't fix it. I am under my jeep weekly and when I am bored I check things like tie rod play, ball joints and bearing play. Not that I don't want to spend the 50.00,, I just don't unless I need to..

unhumen 05-25-2005 03:08 AM

I did replace the tie rod ends about 2 weeks ago, or so. I didn't have enough time to do the whole thing, which goes all the way to the inner axel seals.
I jumped the gun a bit trying to clear up a steering issue. They were worn big time. And now I want to get it all done before next Hurricane season hits full blast. I have all the parts just no time.