Speedo Gear Larger? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Speedo Gear Larger?

Changing my speedo gear in my d300 to go with my new lower gears. It is a 40t, and I know it has more teeth, but should the actual gear be larger than the old stock one? It fits snugly, though I would like confirmation that I have the correct gear before I drive it.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speedo Gear Larger?

If it was larger, then it means you would have to replace the drive gear with a smaller one.

There is a limit on the range of speeds the D300 can go. The gear is the same size, but the teeth are different. The drive gear is cut in such a way that it will work with a fairly large range of slave gears (the one that you are replacing).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks DDawg, I think.

Let me explain. Changed gearing in axles, called up dealership to get a 40t speedometer gear to correct the difference in speedometer readings of the new axles. When I took the old gear out is was 1/2 the diameter of the new gear.

I would just like confrmation this is "How it is" vs, driving it and causing more damagethan the $12 the new gear cost. I have never changed speedometer gears, and concerned the dealership may have given me the wrong part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That does not sound right...the gear needs to be the same physical size, otherwise it is not going to fit....unless I'm wrong about this. I changed the gear on mine and they were the same physical size, just different tooth count.

This is the slave gear that drives the speedo...hence, more teeth means it will turn slower and give you a slower speed indication. Less teeth means it turns faster. Typically, when you go to larger tires without changing gears, you need a lower tooth count. (it gets confusing sometimes)

The only reason you would want to go to a larger (more teeth) is if you went to smaller tires but did not change gears. If you changed gears to get your rpm's back to where they belong then the stock gear should be about right. In other words, the gear tells the speedo how fast the driveshaft is turning. If you go to larger tires, the driveshaft turns slower for a given speed (with 32" tires, on a stock CJ, you will indicate about 10% slower than your really going). Change your gears to 4.10 with those 32 or 33" tires, and your driveshaft is now back to turning about the same amount for a given speed. Hence, no change in speedo gear neede.

Clear as mud...right?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, clear as Guiness! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

I looked up my tire size and ratio on Terry Howe's speedo gear calculator. I just spoke to the local dealership parts dept, and they said it can be a larger diameter gear if teeth were added. Haven't driven it yet though. Will update when I do.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Official Historian

I haven't worked on a dana 300 but I think I read somewhere that the part that holds the speedometer gear has four positions it can be put in to account for the different diamater gears.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Will is right. The gears do vary in size. They have a neat setup where you rotate an eccentric disk to accomodate the different diameter gears. I changed mine when I switched gear ratios as well. But I sure didn't double the size of the gear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well it worked fine speed seems correct, though I haven't verified I have it exact.

FYI: The new speedo gear just drops in, no adjustments necessary.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

$12 bucks!!! Local stealership quoted me $27 for a new speedo gear! Grrrr....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

I paid $24 for mine at the local stealership...and that was with our club's discount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode