Newbie needs help with intake deflector - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:33 PM
jemjr

Newbie needs help with intake deflector

Hello, recently acquired 78 CJ7, 360, 3 speed and I'm in the process of going through it. I started driving in a '66 Wagoneer, straight 6, 3 in the tree. Lots of good memories. Anyway, got the CJ down to the frame and started looking closely at the drivetrain. I wanted to change the intake simply because it was in such bad shape (rust). Bought a Edelbrock Performer 2131 (non-EGR) and the instructions say to take the old "lifter valley deflector shield" off of the old intake and put it on the new Edelbrock. Problem is, it doesn't fit. Only 3 of the hole line up out of the 6. I've contacted Edelbrock and they said look for a "70-72 AMC V8 intake deflector". I've been reading and searching for hours now with no luck. Any of you guys had this problem and how did you fix it? Any leads on aftermarket parts? Thanks in sdvance for the help. I'm sure I'll be lurking in an attempt to learn.

Joe Mayhall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Newbie needs help with intake deflector

my edlebrok intake came with a new valley pan (thats what we called it)
if it's just bolt holes, drill new ones...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:23 AM
jemjr

Thanks for the reply!

I think the valley pan fits on top of the block. I have a new valley pan installed. This oil deflector actually mounts to the underside of the intake with drive pins. The deflector or shield just keeps the hot oil from reaching the underside of the intake, so I was told. One whole side of this shield doesn't even touch the metal of the intake so drilling is not an option. I haven't worked on this Jeep in several days because I've been trying to find a suitable replacement part and I'm just about ready to install the intake without it or going back to stock.

Forgot to mention in my first post that I also have another AMC product, a 74 Javelin and it also has a 360. I still have the original 304 for it. I'll post some pics soon of the projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Official Historian

I put that manifold on my 360 when I rebuilt it 7 years ago. I didn't have any problems taking the stock deflector off and putting it on the edelbrock with the spiral nails.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 AM
jemjr

I don't know why this one will not line up. I checked a spare stock intake I have and the deflector is the same. Makes me wonder if I have the wrong intake from the Edelbrock box. The intake lines up however.

With a valley pan installed, where would hot oil come from that could get to the mainfold? I guess I'm trying to convince myself to install it without a deflector.

Thanks!

JMayhall
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 AM

Try checking out the technical information at this website:
http://www.amcforums.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

The folks over there probably have the answer to both of your questions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 02:18 PM
jemjr

If anybody ever has this problem (and performs a search), here is the answer Edelbrock supplied. The Performer intake is drilled in a generic pattern to be the best match to all the different AMC oil deflectors (attach to the bottom of the intake). According to Edelbrock, it is OK to leave some of the holes in the deflector without any spiral nails. Drill the deflector in the places that the intake will accept.

Hope the deflector (and the nails) stay in place.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to mention in my first post that I also have another AMC product, a 74 Javelin and it also has a 360. I still have the original 304 for it. I'll post some pics soon of the projects.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Javelins [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], I've owned a few. The 71 is my favorite though. I like the grill and tail lights on that model better.
Lets see 1 Plume purple 71 AMX with 360, 1 Red 71 Javelin with 304, 1 Yellow 69 AMX with 390, (that was a fast car) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]. 1 Blue 71 Javelin with 360.
I also owned a few Gremins, 1 Green 72 with I 6, 1 Purple Gremlin X with 401 (factory), now that was a kicker there. Also had a little Sprint nice little Red one.

Did I say I liked the AMC cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode