auto transmission ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
48 willys

auto transmission ?

Hi , new to this site and have a few ? about th350 auto transmissions. putting one in a 48 2a behind a 355c.i. engine. should i get a electric lock up or non lockup.also want to install a new steering column. any ideas on what one to look for used. was thinking out of a small chevy blazer? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: auto transmission ?

As to the transmission, keep it simple and go with no-lock up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well...if your talking about the GM TH350....I think you will be hard pressed to get a lock up kit for it sence it does not have, never did, never will have a lockup converter. For that you will need the 700R or 4L60E.

The 350 is a 3 speed medium duty...the 400 is a 3 speed heavy duty. The 700R replaced both of those and has 4 speed + the lockup feature.

For what you want, the 350 is fine...small jeep....

For refereance...the lockup feature does have some advantages...first, it helps the tranny run cooler...second, the lockup is nice when you are going down rocks...makes it act just like a manual tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
Well...if your talking about the GM TH350....I think you will be hard pressed to get a lock up kit for it sence it does not have, never did, never will have a lockup converter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... yes, and no.

The classic TH350 was non lockup.

However, GM did produce the TH350c which is a lock up AT.

Often the terms, TH350 and TH350c are used interchangeably, though they should not be...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Lockups run hotter if you dont have them setup to lockup.
The TC doesnt have as much room inside for fluid because the clutch packs take up lots of room.

It would be a neat feature, to be able to lock it up on the trail and have compression braking, but I think you would find the crawl ratio is way too low. The first gear in the autos is rather pathetic, and uses the 2.2ish ratio from the TC to make it runable on the trail. When youo lock it up, your going direct drive... thats 1:1 and it will probably be too fast unless you have some crazy gearing elsewhere.

On the highway the lockup is great. It's like having 3,1/2 gears.. it just gives the transmission that little more umph at high speeds.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
48 willys

yes it's the GM TH350 and the GM TH350c that I am looking to install. need to keep everything as short as possible. so this is about the only two autos that will work. will be running dana 44's front and rear with 4.56 ratio ,35" tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode