Rear fenders rotted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Rear fenders rotted

Approximately 9 years ago I replaced pretty much the whole back end of my jeep tub. All but the tailgate. Rust set in around the wheel tubs edges a bit, but really hit hard around the wheel well lip. I think it started at the holes that hold the flares on. Anyways, last Sunday one flare almost fell off. The edge crumbed. So now I debate. How far do I go with this? I need to take some time buying measures to keep it on the road and legal until I can afford the time and cost of replacing the tub. Nothing worse than working with rusted sheet metal. The only good metal starts right at the wheel tubs. And that would be a poor place to put a seam. If I cut above that, I have a heck of a time cleaning up, welding and resealing the tub to outer well. Yuck. What a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Re: Rear fenders rotted

IMO there's no really good answer for a rusted body but to replace everything that's rusted. Unfortunately the rist is usually worst at the seams, which ruins two panels. If the sides are that bad, the body mounts and support channels under the floor can't be very good either. I finally gave up the fight, and I'm glad I did. If it had been in a crash it would have crunpled like foil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

When I did the major body work 9 years ago, I fabricated the rear floor pan entirely out of galvanized 16 gauge, used galvanized channel for the supports and the inner panels on the rear of the tub (tailgate area). I notice the body mounts just forward of the rear wheels are rusted out and collapsing. Good thing my seats and belts are all mounted to the cage. I really don't believe my tub is worth restoring, just mending for the time being. I need a good solid YJ tub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Way Outta Control

IMHO...Stainless Steel is the way to go... but if you don't go that route like Jim_Lou did, then it's fiberglass all the way. I don't regret a penny I spent for that tub and front clip!

The other option IMHO, is to just get the less expensive rear quarter panel from JCWhitney (or the like)and cut the lip from the panel. Then just spot weld it in place and bondo the heck out of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode