O.T. Trailer tire recommendations and advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

O.T. Trailer tire recommendations and advice

Well stupid me forgot to check the tire pressure on my trailer before making the trip to the bash. The tires were suppose to have 50psi, but only had about 25 to 30psi. This caused the tires to wear extremely bad to the point that only the outer 2 treads looked good, but the inner ones were worn bad with the tread in some areas being raised if that makes sense. Well on the ride home, I noticed that one of the tires seemed to be kicked out on the bottom riding on the inner edge of the tire. I pulled over jacked it up (with my newly won highlift) and tightened all the spindle bolts. They are now nice and tight, but that one tire still appears to be kicked out a bit. Needless to say, all tires are now toasted, but that one tire is especially bad. Again, the outer treads are fine, but all of the inner ones are now gone and it is basically a skin. Would the incredibly unballanced tread cause the tire to do this? Or is another problem that I need to address? Also, since now i'm in the market for 4 new tires, any recommendations on a 205/75/14st tire? I think that is what the new size for the old f78/14st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O.T. Trailer tire recommendations and advice

Mine are toast to but for the good spare Dirt Dog gave me we would have been alot longer getting home. I think I am just going to the local walmart and buying the cheapest 205 75 r15's I can get. Usualy the liberators have a waranty and there are wlamarts eveywhere.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

Keith,
Get radials whatever you do... I had a set of Carlisles that were bias ply, they got very hot under my jeep trailer. I switched to their radials, and am pretty happy with them. My new boat trailer had the option for radials which were Goodyear marathons, they are pretty good also..
I had a tire that looked kicked out at the bottom, and found I had a bent axle. I replaced it, only to find out the other axle was bent too.
Axles are pretty cheap, just make sure if you order one, check the bearing surfaces on the spindle. Most are the same, but it is prudent to check this before ordering.
Ricky...seeya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

as with ricky.. check your axles.. sounds like they may be bent... if im reading this right.. all the insides of all the tires were the worst? then check the axles... and as for trailer tires.. i wish i was home.. i got a set from a local tire shop... and they are great... but i dont know the name right off the top of my head...

but get a radial.. and get one with the most plys... my sidewalls i think are 10 ply... or something... and they do not flex at all...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well I drove all the way to Indiana with only about 25lbs in each. I think that is what caused the tires to wear all funky. They were probably smoking hot and I didn't notice till I was there. Only that one tire is slightly kicked out, but they all have the inside wear. I'll have to rip it apart to see if its bent. Maybe i'll just throw my new spare on it to see if it was the tire causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode