Clocking idea? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Clocking idea?

So the TH350 in my jeep is hooped, and i've got another one to rebuild.
well, actually 2 or 3 to rebuild into one.

One has a dead case (4wd) so Im going to grab the shaft from that and rebuild it into a 2wd case/guts to get my rebuilt tranny.

This got me thinking, seeing as how ive got the thing all out, I may as well put in a clocking ring. Being the cheap bastage I am, I was thinking about making one myself, when I realised that the back of the transmission is a square bolt pattern... which will be much easier to make.

So I want to make this, out of 3/8" plate. the studs will be 1/2" fine thread.. clocked 18.5 deg.

Either going to drill out the back of the transmission, and run studs from the plate through the holes with nuts.. or use countersunk bolts as pictured.

Plan is to use the back of the tranny with the broken case I have now.. lop off the back 2" and use it as a drill guide..

Any thoughts????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1418496-adapt1.jpg (18.6 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Clocking idea?

I'd be worried about the plate thickness around the recessed bolts. Even with the taper, they could pull through on 3/8 inch plate. I'd go much thicker, perhaps 3/4 or 1 inch.

Fritz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I'd have to deal with spline engagement if I were moving the case and transmission appart more then 3/8 of an inch.

As it happens, most of the clocking rings out there are 5/16 or 3/8" thick.

I didn't have a countersunk allen bolt to measure off so I couldn't draw the countersinks accurately, but it would be identical to this one in depth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM

What about the shoulder that does the actual indexing of the bore?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm just a simple man here.

Which shoulder? which indexing? which bore?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Using an old transmission case as a drill guide doesn't sound like a good idea to me. That won't be very accurate, and if the tranny and T-case aren't pretty well aligned you'll have accelerated bearing and gear wear.

If the center hole does the alignment then you should have it machined accurately, and the bolt holes can allow some slop.

The countersunk holes have to be accurate in any case. If they're not right, there will be a side load on the bolts, which they're not engineered to handle.

I'd do up the design and then have a machine shop do the drilling. Even a shade tree shop like mine can easily position holes within a few thousandths, and it shouldn't cost too much.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:43 AM

Hmmm cool...wouldn't have thought that'd be enough....

Oh well...guess you don't always need to use a sledgehammer!

Fritz
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I have to go check, I think the Th350 does use a raised ring to center the adapter.

I could use a big hole saw to get myself on that ring. Then I have to see what my adapter from novak looks like, I cant remeber what its like on the inside.

As for the accuracy of the holes, I have a press, and I was going to use the bolt face from the junk tranny to just confirm all my drill holes.. its soft alum, and would gouge easy if it were being used as a drillguide un-assisted.

The two sets of holes will be perfectly aligned with one another to atleast 100th of an inch, otherwise I'll just pony up for the D300 clocking ring..

That's the rule I've set for myself, either it all slides together like it was factory (larf) or I'll just go get the ring... I'm also thinking studs inside, and out.. just to simpify assembly. (instead of countersunk bolts)

Both sets of holes will be measured from a pin I'll place in the center after drilling a small hole.. that way I can have a constant steady mark in the middle that wont move..

I guess we will see how it comes out. Been meaning to dissassemble the one with the cracked case now for 3 days.. but I've been so busy tearing up the stone and motar on my parents deck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]..

I dont remember the sand, cement, and water weighing so much when I brough it up...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:23 PM

On the factory extension housing/adapter there is a shoulder which centers the adapter to the trans housing. It also retains the o-ring seal. It extends form the adapter about 5/16" into the trans. I'd think you will need to duplicate that to get everything centered and sealed right. take a look at your adapter/housing and you'll see what I mean.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Just took a look at the back of the th350..

I see what you mean.

I've still gotta look at the Novak Adapter when it comes out to see if they accomodate that, or if they ignore it.

I only remember a small groove that an O-ring rode in... not any female/male action.

now I wish I had kept the NP208 adapter that the trans came with the first time... probably could have just re-drilled and cut it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode