stick shift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
babkuzy

stick shift

hey guys!! or should is say professional mechanics as u are well experienced..

anyway umm got another question...
(1997 jeep wrnagler sport..4liters..manual 58k miles)

my stick ....has some hesitation when i put it on reverse, it doesnt go in smoothly, sometimes its really hard to put it in reserve, sometimes ill have to wiggle few times before it shifts to reverse smoothly....
anyway i can fix this without getting a new box..
or clean it or oil it? i dont konw where the gear box is located in the jeep, if i take off the padding (the rubber cover) thats right below the stick, will i be able to see the problem, thanks guys
dmitry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:27 PM

Re: stick shift

You might try checking the fluid level in the Transmission. mine was shifting hard and i toped it off w/ oil and that solved the problem. There is a plug on the side of the tranny about half way up, if you take the plug out fluid should be right at the bottom of the hole, if not, top it off w/ specified lubricant. The transmission is located right under your trans tunnel in the cab (raised part to the right of your feet) you could take the transmission tunnel cover off, (under carpet) and see the top of the trans, but this will not help you fill it up. Lubrication might not be the problem. Your trans could also have an internal mechanical problem, but i would check the fluid level first. I am sure more experienced people will chime in w/ more information. Also is the Trans grinding when you try to put it in reverse, or is it just not going in? if it grinds it could be a bad syncro, or you clutch not disengaging properly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 PM
babkuzy

hmm i dont know where the transmission fluid is, iis that what ur explaining, its under the hood or under the jeep? i am beginner with jeeps and just the mechanics in general..i am just starting to learn.

it doesnt grind...it just has some resistance going in, sometimes it will go in fine, othertimes i'll have to put in reverse and retry...i shold make another video to show u what i mean.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 PM
babkuzy

in the picture, all the way in the front, (from the headlights side) that black box lookalike with the silver cap.. is that what ur talking about as the transmission fluid?

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i5/02/a/04/0a/58/0b_4.JPG
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OK, this has been suggested to you before. GO BUY A REPAIR MANUAL! If you already have one I apologize for yelling. If not GO BUY A REPAIR MANUAL!

Any auto parts store will have some sort of Chilton or Haynes Manual that will aid you in at least finding out which part is which.

In your pic, the box thing you describe is the radiator, not the transmision.

Against the firewall/bulkhead (between your seat and the engine), on the driver's side you see a black round barrel mounted against the wall, with another item (the master cylinder) bolted to it. This is your brake fluid resevior.

Just to the driver's side of that is another smaller, black resevior (I know I'm spelling this wrong). This is your hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Remove the top for this resevior and check the fluid. Check with your owner's manual or the dealer for the correct fluid to add if necesary. Your clutch uses hydraulic pressure to engage and disengage and may not be working properly if it's low on fluid.

Your tansmission fluid is contained within the transmission, under the Jeep and can only be checked by getting under the Jeep and removing a plug in the side of it. You should really get a manual before you check this fluid level, or take it to the dealer and have them check it. If you want to check it and need to add some on your own, get the correct transmission fluid from the dealer only.

I'll say it one more time. Go buy a manual and just read through the thing, or look up the parts in question in the index and read those chapters. Good Luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
babkuzy

mucho gracias!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bab...quick question....what degree are you going for?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Reverse is engaged by sliding a gear on a shaft so that its teeth mesh with another gear. The edges of the gear teeth are rounded off so that they will slip past each other, but if the teeth happpen to be lined up exactly, when the gear tries to slide into the other the teeth will bump against each other, and they won't engage. If that's the problem you're haveing, there's nothing wrong - it's the nature of sliding gears.

The cure is to put the shift lever back into the neutral position, let the clutch out, put it back in, and then try again to shift into reverse. What that does is spin the gears, so that next time they will be aligned differently, and they'll engage properly.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:41 PM

when i used to have a stick, i normally just held the clutch in.. slap it into 4th.. then back into rev.. this will turn the gears enough to get it to engage properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode