Igntion Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Chris_442

Igntion Question

Found this on another message board;

"Autozone offers an 84 LTD for the 6cyl with a one barrel carb ICU for 17.99 with a life time waranty. Cool."

The point of the thread was this one will work the same as the one that they sell for $50.00 for 89 YJ w/258.

While I have read the all the threads about the GM HEI Hybird
with Motorcraft Dist and realize in the grand scheme it is a better setup would the above mentioned ICU work on a stock Wrangler with Duraspark ignition?

Just curious-I am still tweaking my setup before I convert to GM HEI Hybird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Igntion Question

Not sure of your question.

First you said you read the one for the LTD works.

Then you are asking if it will work?

If the connectors are the same, it should.

Let us know if it does, I'll get a few - I need the connectors and the box.
Junk yards seem to think they are made of gold.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Chris_442

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure of your question.

First you said you read the one for the LTD works.

Then you are asking if it will work?

If the connectors are the same, it should.

Let us know if it does, I'll get a few - I need the connectors and the box.
Junk yards seem to think they are made of gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.....I read this but as we know that does not mean its true.The internet can make anyone an expert. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am asking if anyone knows if it will work since the price is $30.00 cheaper for this one as opposed to the other one.

Most likely I am going to finsh my setup by adding the GM HEI/Hybird based on previous advice from this forum but looking for a cheap alternitive for the factory setup for my own knowledge.

Thanks Again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Way Outta Control

""""""If the connectors are the same, it should."""""

Take a good look at your connectors - or best take yours with you.

Ford has a way of keeping boxes from getting mixed up with the connectors, but there's only a few types. Insulator color was the easy way, but aftermarket makers have gotten that completely screwed up.

Look at the connectors - and look at the keyways inside them.

If it plugs in - it should work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:03 PM

I bought one for an 84 CJ for $19.00 at Autozone. I bet those would work but check the connections first.

It still would be interesting to see the difference between a $50.00 module and a $17.99 module.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Way Outta Control

OEM Ford modules vs Chinese?

Some of the original Ford modules had a retard circuit built-in. It retarded timing (delayed it) when the RPM was less than 150 or so. That helped it start easier. Some Fords used a high initial base timing for emissions purposes - like 18 degrees. That made it try to "buck" on a hot restart. The retarding helped. Once the R's got up after it started, it went to normal timing.

On vehicles like Jeeps base and starting timing is lower even when you follow the timing procedure the book calls out - timing's set at higher R's. Once it slows down to idle, base timing's 8-10. So the retard's not needed.

But the aftermarket guys jumped in - sold cheapie modules without that feature. Ford had to go to the US govt and get import trade restrictions and copyright infringement rulings. The aftermarket guys were even putting the Ford logo on the modules - some were decals, some even the aluminum was cast with the Ford name. Lots of lawsuits.

Just because you get it from a dealer it isn't always genuine. Been there, done that. I bought a bunch (50?) from a Ford dealer going under - in Ford boxes - even had the casting imprint Ford logo. Turned out they all were aftermarket knock-offs. I had to be careful what I put them in. Some Fords really needed that retard.

The blue grommet - originally indicated a California car - had the delay. Red was "other states." But the knock-offs also used blue and red - no longer meant anything. They also started using other colors, - meaningless.

But -- if the connectors fit - some look like they might, but they have a keyway that's wrong. If it fits, it should work.

Essentially all Ford DuraSpark (I) modules are the same - except for the retard. (The Duraspark II is totally different - and the conectors are more squared off.) But some the harness wiring configuration was different, thus the wire colors changed, and what each pin did was different. They just mixed up the pins. (Always thought I'd figure out how to switch the pins, but even if you did, the connector would be wrong.)

Why? - Ford has a better idea!????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode