Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
sdcc

Engine Swap

I am looking to replace my 4 cyl 5 speed power train with a 6 cyl. from a 97 jeep grand cherokee laredo.

Is this psoosible? What would need to be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Engine Swap

Everything else will have to be changed. Transmission, wiring harness, computer & don't know what else. If you're going to do the swap, get it all from the donor. Others will chime in with more details.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Not much info with your question. What are we putting this in? What are your state smog/polution laws? May not be able to do this? Legally? If it is, you would need everthing (like previously mentioned)from the fan to the transfer case. Sorry not much help here.
good luck
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

I know the search function here can test your patience but give it a try, I'm sure your question has been discussed before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This has been discussed about 2-3 times in the past 2 weeks.
What you are wanting to do is very doable...but only if you have moderate mechanical skills. If you have to ask how change plugs or how to fix your front brakes...sell your jeep and go buy a new Liberty.

If the above does NOT apply to you...and you have a full set of tools, engine lift , access to a welder (and know how to use it)..then the following is a brief summary.

First, you need a doner. In your case, going from the 4 to a 6 requires new motor mounts, electrical, drive line changes, exhaust, etc. Just using a jeep 4.0 does not make it a PNP. Which opens up engine options...for the same amount of work, you can put in a V6 or V8.

As for smog laws...CA is the toughest...but as long as the engine is fram the same year or newer, it's ok...in my case, I'm putting in a 5.7L TBI from a 94 Chevy PU...my 84 jeep will end up testing as a 94 PU.

At a min, you want the whole doner vehicle. You will need the engine, tranny (in most cases, most newer model veh have the computer controlling the engine and transmission...it will just make life easier), wiring harness, computer, vacuum lines, canister...and a few misc items from under the dash depending on your choice.

Then depending on what engine you selected, you may need an tranny to xfer case adapter. If you go with a jeep engine, then you will most likely use the new xfer case.....assuming the front drive shaft is output is on the same side as your front axle.

You will need to weld or bolt in new motor mounts.
Your transmission cross plate will need to be moved,
New radiator.
Fuel lines.
Interface your existing wiring to your new wiring.
Exhaust.
Lengthen or shorten driveshafts.

And a ton of other misc items.

Now....fill out your profile before the flame gods get a hold of you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode