Reverse lights always ON! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Reverse lights always ON!

My reverse lights are always on when my headlights are turned on. I haven't checked to see if my brake lights, or signals work yet but I think they do. What causes this? I recently had the lights unhooked for some paintintg as well as the transmission neutral safety switch replaced. Plus I have been having a problem of my Jeep not locking when its in PARK. My jeep been known to wander parking lots with slight inclines. 86 cj7 TF999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:48 AM

Re: Reverse lights always ON!

As for the lights, check the ground first. I chased wires for 2 days, only to find that I had a bad ground in the tail light housing.

The problem of the jeep rolling around parking lots.... try the parking brake. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

So without the lights on, do the revers lighst function normally? Do the tail lights work? Very often they get hooked back up wrong, so that the reverse lights get tied to the tail light circut and vice versa. Take the lenses off and make certain the right bulbs are lighting up, of course the lenses themselves could be upside down. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 PM
mindbender

I believe the reverse lights are not connected to a switch on the tranny, instead are activated by a white plastic collar that is mounted on top of the steering column under the dash. Sometimes these become loose and do create some problems with getting jeep to start in "park" and sometimes fool the tail lights to thinking that the jeep is in reverse when it is not.

The other problem can be the linkage issue and may require adjustment to assure that park is park, etc.

Of course - there is also the possiblity that it was missed wired from the hot wire side and now bypasses the reverse activation switch.... hard to believe a ground wire would result in an "on" condition for a back up light unless the reverse switch is somehow wired on the ground side of the backup light.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I will be working on it tomorrow maybe I'll come across the real problem. I recently replaced an ignition swith too maybe that's it , but I think it's probably a ground. I painted the rear secrion and hooked everything back up in the dark and in a rush. On Friday, I plan on finishing my bumper/tire carrier, changing tranny fluid & gasket, change seals on dana 300, and hook up some of my OBA stuff. Plus adjust my tranny linkage and fix reverse lights etc......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode