Setting a clicker type torque wrench - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Setting a clicker type torque wrench

I used my deflection beam type torque wrench to set my wheel bearings up. However, I have a Mastercraft (that's Canadian Tire's brand to all you in the US of A) clicker type torque wrench as well. The kind you pull down a collar to turn the handle to the setting at which it will click when the torque is reached.

Problem is that I can't remember how to read the setting. For every number, there are two lines parallel to the edge of the collar. I can't figure out which line to turn it to.

For example

_____ 90
/
____

______ 80
/
____

So do I turn it up to the bottom line (I believe??) or the top line with the number? Why the heck did they do it like this? I know it makes reading the numbers easier, but I'm too dumb to remember which one you line up and don't want to be out by 10 lb-ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:24 PM

Re: Setting a clicker type torque wrench

[ QUOTE ]
For example

_____ 90
/
____

______ 80
/
____

So do I turn it up to the bottom line (I believe??) or the top line with the number? Why the heck did they do it like this? I know it makes reading the numbers easier, but I'm too dumb to remember which one you line up and don't want to be out by 10 lb-ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a reading of 85 ft lbs you would set it to:

_____90
/
______ <font color="red"> 85 </font>
/
____80

you would place the edge of the rotating sleeve at the line maked 85 in red.

The 80 would be under the sleeve and the 90 would be visible above the edge and the line between 80-90 would be AT the edge.

Did that make sense????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Or not!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GPn is right,,, I have to look at mine some days,,, cause I forget to... Love my beam style but it cost a fortune!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I depicted it right. The post removes the blank spaces unfortunately, so I'll try again, and use dots, but ignore the dots.

......._____ 80
....../
____

What the heck are the two lines for. One lines up with the number, and the other is beneath it? I was wondering if I line up with the bottom line, and they put the top line in just to point to the number so that I could read it without it being obscured by the edge of the collar?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
......._____ 80
....../
____

What the heck are the two lines for. One lines up with the number, and the other is beneath it? I was wondering if I line up with the bottom line, and they put the top line in just to point to the number so that I could read it without it being obscured by the edge of the collar?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK if I see your idea about the "dots" as a spacer only
then:

....._____90
..../
______ <font color="red">85 </font>
....._____80
..../
______ <font color="red">75 </font>_________top of slider or rotating ring for 75LBS
....._____70

The double line is set at 5lb increments
the black numbers (represented here)are the 10lb marks and the red (represented here) are the 5 lb or 1/2 way marks.

On your torque wrench set your slider or rotating ring s edge to the number you need, if you need 5lbs more than the number showing you set it to the NEXT availabe mark.

Did that help you any better? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, now I understand. The number is the number, the line beneath it is a halfway point. I got confused because of the / mark that links the two lines. Annoying myself having lost the little booklet that came with it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Next time you're in a store that sells sockets, get an 8-point 1/2" socket for 1/2" drive. That will allow you to tie the clicker to your beam wrench. Then you can set something on the clicker and pull on the beam until the clicker clicks. Then you'll know.

I did that with my Proto clicker and found that I have to turn the collar until it's past the line for the setting I want. If I want 82 I have to turn the collar until 80 is just hidden with 0 lined up, and then continue to turn it until the 2 lines up.

I've read that the beam type are more accurate over their lifetime than the clickers, so it doesn't hurt to check them occasionally. Of course, it was in Sturdevant literature that I read that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

And when you get done, set it back for zero torque before you put it away. Constant pressure on the spring will weaken it and cause your torque setting to be off.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Great idea. I'll have to try that. Reminds me of the time we had a "torque off" to see who's impact gun had the most oomph.

[ QUOTE ]
Next time you're in a store that sells sockets, get an 8-point 1/2" socket for 1/2" drive. That will allow you to tie the clicker to your beam wrench. Then you can set something on the clicker and pull on the beam until the clicker clicks. Then you'll know.

I did that with my Proto clicker and found that I have to turn the collar until it's past the line for the setting I want. If I want 82 I have to turn the collar until 80 is just hidden with 0 lined up, and then continue to turn it until the 2 lines up.

I've read that the beam type are more accurate over their lifetime than the clickers, so it doesn't hurt to check them occasionally. Of course, it was in Sturdevant literature that I read that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
And when you get done, set it back for zero torque before you put it away. Constant pressure on the spring will weaken it and cause your torque setting to be off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one Taz! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

See? You can be a big contribution to jeep knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode