TJ Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Gio73

TJ Engine Swap

I have a 97 2.5L wrangler with 90,000 miles. Unfortunately, my oil pressure has gone to crap and Im in need of a new engine. Im thinking about upgrading to a 4.0L and was curious as to how straightforward a swap would be. Will I need to worry about electric, transmission, mount etc to perform the swap? My father in law has offered to install the engine (he owns his own automotive garage) but I have not approached him about the upgrade and want to get y'all thoughts before I do. Any input is appreciated. Thanks - Gio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Official Historian

Re: TJ Engine Swap

You'll need to swap your transmission as well. The 2.5 and 4.0 have different bolt patterns. The transmission behind the 2.5 also isn't quite enough for the 4.0.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This might be a good time to look at other engines besides the 4.0 given your setup. While the 4.0 is a great engine, they are becoming harder and harder to find...at least ones with low mileage. You are going to need a doner vehicle that has the engine, tranny, wiring harness and computer. In addition, you are going to need different motor mounts, new exhaust, etc.

As an option, consider a V6 or v8 swap. You will need the same as above, but your choices and available selections are a lot better. I picked up a chevy 5.7L TBI with the 4L60E tranny...harness and all for $500. I would be done now except I got a 'little' carried away and ended up doing a frame up re-store.

I have heard that the Ford 5.0 is about 100lbs lighter than the chevy, and a couple of inches shorter. I know one guy who did the 4.3L V6 swap and has plenty of room. A major factor is what engine you can find for the right price.

In the grand scheme of things, this might be your best short and long term solution. Which ever way you go, I would suggest that you buy the whole vehicle and park it next to your jeep as you do the switch over...that way you can keep going back to it for the misc parts you will need.

Let us know what you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

im not sure about wiring a ford or Chebby engien,

but i know that the Mopar V8 are relativly simple to wire into yur jeep.

http://members.aol.com/mymovie/motor/Jeep/swap.html

some good stuff there...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Gio73

Thanks for the input. Is it crazy to consider buying a NEW engine (say from quadratec) and getting the tranny secondhand? I would get the warranty (60K) and have the piece of mind of knowing the engine is new. Just a thought.

I'll Keep everyone posted.

Thanks - Gio
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if everything else in the jeep is working fine then its not a terrible idea.

is this a daily driver jeep, or a weekend only toy? is it lifted or anytihng? with a big lifted jeep the 2.5L will struggle....but stock sized it should be just fine....a new engine can be had for around 1500-2000 w/o any of the other stuff that you should have already...

you can prolly find a good decent milaged junk yard engine for 500-750 if have good local yards, i know thats the price range at the salvage place here in peoria, if you are close by this part of IL

fill out that profile of yur some more and welcome to the board [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd take a look at a Jasper rebuilt. 3 yr./75,000 warranty. Good quality.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Gio73

The Jeep is my everyday ride and everything else is in pretty good order. It's all stock and no customizations have been made. Once I retire the jeep to a weekend toy that's when I plan to start modifying it. I will take a look at the local yards to see what they have, but in the end I'll probably get new.

My Loc is Chicago proper.

Thanks! Gio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode