Off Roading Forums banner

Front end wander

965 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JeepnGreg 
#1 ·
Funny i can fix everyone's junk but not mine. Wife has to drive the jeep from Indy to atttica this year so I am under some pressure to fix the wander in my jeep.. I did not think it was a big deal til I drove jims jeep home to work on it. his is like a rock compared to mine...

So problem is driving down the road it is as if the front end just changes directions slightly at will. Nothing dramatic, just enough to keep me screwing with the steering constantly.

Ball joints seem fine, Tried checking th tre's but can't seem to put enough weight on a corner to keep things from moving.
Plan to tighten the steering box if I can remember how, and maybee take another look at the ball joints. This cannot be to complicated, like I said I have fixed everyine elses,,, but can;t seem to figure mine out. Any sugestions??

#2 ·
Mine was doing the exact same thing before.

I had a leaking Power steering box and my alignment was off, had some major Toe-In....

I fixed both of these at the same time and the problem went away,
not sure if either was a cause, but its gone now.

this wouldnt be the result of the locker in the front would it? since TJs dont have locking hubs of sorts.....just an idea

hope you get it figured out

#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
So problem is driving down the road it is as if the front end just changes directions slightly at will. Nothing dramatic, just enough to keep me screwing with the steering constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a tow-in/tow-out issue. pull the Jeep on a flat surface make a chalk mark on the center of the tire 90* from the pavement towards the front on each tire. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from mark to mark.
Pull forward till the marks are 180* from the first measurement,(should be directly to the back). Now make another measurement there should be about 1/8" longer on the back side than the front, if not adjust the tow with the sleeve on the tie rod till you get 1/8" tow in,(shorter front measurement, longer rear measurement) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#4 ·
It was going it even before my lift Greg, So the locker 3 years later did not cause it. I checked the alignmeny a year ago, but I will do it again. Have you ever tried afixing a piece of 1/1 tube on each wheel and taking the mesurements off of that??? That is how I have done it in the past and it works.. My box may have issues as well.

#5 ·
Do this:

1)Check steering column play (hold steering shaft and move steering wheel).
2) check rag joint (shaft to box) very suspect
3) check steering lash (play) (how far you turn wheel before tires budge). Should be minimal
4)You checked ball joints - make sure you do this with front end off ground - no load
5)Check all tie rod and drag link ends for wear, play and grease. Have someone steer with the tires on the ground, you will be able to see the joints moving around in their mounts slightly if they are worn.
6) Check your castor angle. I have to run 7 degrees on mine. You can safely use steel angle shims on the front. I run 3 degree shims. You may need this if you have non stock axles or especially longer shackles. To increase castor, put the fat end of the shim toward the front of vehicle.
7) check your toe in - most Jeeps I know of area about 1/8" with 33's
8) If you have a lift over 2" with no drag link you might have a minor amount of bump steer. You need a dropped pitman arm if that is the case
9)After all that, check your front wheel bearings. Get the front off the ground, and check the in/out play. Grab the top inside of the tire, and push in on the lower outside of the tire and try to rock it. Any play and your bearings need replacing.

That's all I can think of. Sounds like alot of work, I know, but you want to be safe with your family in the Jeep, right?

Here is the lash adjustment procedure I copied from this board a while back:

Vehicles with power steering require the engine running to check steering wheel lash. Do this with front end off the ground (properly supported with stands). Turn the steering wheel in one direction until the tires just begin to pivot.
Place a mark on the steering wheel at a fixed reference point. Turn the wheel in the other direction until the tires again start to move, mark the steering wheel at the same fixed reference point. Measure the distance between the two points. The amount of allowable lash varies with the diameter of the steering wheel. Generally Lash cannot exceed 2"

WHEW! I think that's enough. ALL of those things need to be sorted before you have stable steering.

If I had to guess I would guess castor. I tightened everything in my system, but it didn't mean anything until the castor was correct. Do you have longer shackles?

#6 ·
How long has it been since you replaced front axle u-joints?

It’s not a steering thing, you should be able to go down a smooth road with your hands off the steering wheel, only having to correct once in a while for a slight drift caused by the crown of the road. If you can’t, there is a problem in the front end.

#7 ·
The steering lash far excedes 2 inches, I have probably a1/4 turn in the wheel (1/8 either way) I will check the shaft at the rag joint and probably tighten up the box.

As for castor it is adjustable on the tj and I have it set to max, but it was doing this before the lift so while the lift did not cause it,,, It is possible that it agravated it. I have a drop pitman arm and new bearrings in last season, Tie rods look solid and have no movement when moving the wheels.

I will apply the rest and see what we find..

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
jims is like a rock compared to mine...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/censor.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/neener.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.