M715 or M725 as a Towing truck ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

M715 or M725 as a Towing truck ?

theres a few around here for sale. one for $3k, other for $3.5k.....they are in pretty good shape.... Always wanted one....

would it do as a tow rig? I would like to be able to maintain at least 60-65mph or so across these big midwest highways.

I dont know if i can rationalize the money or not...prolly not...but im entertaining the idea.....

could it hold? or would it be a dog.

they are both stock engine and drivetrain, dont have a desire to do an engine swap on it or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: M715 or M725 as a Towing truck ?

If I remember right the 725 has the service bed on the back of it. I think that is not a good option as you wont be able to see out of the back window.

You can tow with the stock engine and stock axles (they are geared low) but a swap would be better.

M715zone.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the 725 is the ambulance body...which i really want to turn into an RV thing

jsut seeing if they can hold speed....

thansk for the link-wanna-be, i'll check out that site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:59 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

An M725 was my first Ebay bid. I still don't know why the wife encouraged me to register and bid. Caddy motor, turbo 400 tranny, 10k ramsey wench, 35" buckshot mudders, a nice body and frame that went for less than $5000. LOL
The gift she has.
I should have bid more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:33 PM

freidn had one that would top out with a 440 and stock gearing with 38.5" boggers at about 63 mph. sucked lots of gas that way

the toronado engine blows.......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know much... but I'll share what I DO know.

1. I almost pulled the trigger on a -715 variant (-724 maintenance trk) this past weekend... for a tow vehicle. (So, you might say we have a shared interest.

2. Geared w-a-a-y too low... but there is a place to get gears to go from the stock 5.87:1 to 4.87's; which I understand makes it tolerable on the highway.

3. I don't think that lil' 230CI engine is going to satisfy once it is regeared and pulling 6k#. (Myself, I was thinking about getting a diesel and putting a NV4500 behind it.)

4. I understand the axles, while Dana 70 rear/D60 front, are not all that strong... supposedly 'strong-enough' for a low hp 6cyl, but not well-matched to a V-8, etc.

5. I believe there is some issue w/ replacement wheels (?hard-to-find?/?expensive?) - I think the stock wheels are the 'split' design & require tubes.

And THAT, my friend, pretty much exhausts my limited dtabank of M-715 et. al. info. Lotsa good info over @ http://www.m715zone.com though.

Godspeed compadre!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Veteran

I think the axles have a goofy bolt pattern, making wheels hard to find.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Addict

Are those the Budd wheels? I've heard the engines aren't good either.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I looked into building a 715 for my pickup truck. But i found my dodge before i could get really into it. This is what i planned and some i have.

Start with a 715 with a rusty cab, smashed front end, a perfect front clip in the bed and a bed and to die for.(that i have)

Loose the 715 cab and put in its place a j-truck cab.

Loose the motor and trans.

Use either a injected 460 ford or a injected 454 chevy. Hook a 2wd auto behind the motor and use the stock tcase (maybe).(i had access to either motor)

To solve the wheel and gear problem, i planned to have a set of 20in rims made. That way i could run a 8.25X20 or 9.25x20 truck tire.

Now for running a stock 715 towing, forget it. Unless you like back roads and dont mind going 45 mph.

There really isnt anything wrong with the rears if the truck is used as just a truck. They just have a bad rep, the front is closed knuckle and nobody likes them. For just normal towing and being used as a truck the rears are just fine.

We had those rears in that tuff truck/mini moster truck i work on, they lasted two years. Yeh we snapped a few rear axles. But the motor pushes an easy 700 horse and either runs 44 boggers or 46X22 tractor tires. The only way we could break the front was to get major air and then snapped the knuckle off of the rear. You cant get much more abuse then what that rig will put on something. Now the truck rides on early 2 1/2 ton rears. They arent the toploader rears though. Those we havent broken anything yet, but the axles are huge.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
I looked into building a 715 for my pickup truck. But i found my dodge before i could get really into it. This is what i planned and some i have.

Start with a 715 with a rusty cab, smashed front end, a perfect front clip in the bed and a bed and to die for.(that i have)

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooo.... Jim, whadya gonna do w/ the stuff you've already amassed and are not using? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode