OT - How do I create a website? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

OT - How do I create a website?

About all I know about computers is the speed is determined by how fast you turn the crank!

He He -- OK, not quite that bad, but close!

With that in mind, how do I get a website -- and how do I get "my stuff" on it?

My partner wants us to have one where we can show our different products - like skid plates, tube fenders, ignition upgrades, etc..

A friend offered to help me -- but it was something like $700 a month.

Do I need to learn programming?
Are there free places?

Much Thanks in advance, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT - How do I create a website?

www.geocities.com offers free web pages and has alot of free HTML info. It's really easy once you get started.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

This is JimmyZ's wife, and he asked me to respond to your question. For the last couple of years, I've been keeping a website that I did not design updated, and recently I designed one for our church. The main program I use for website design is Dreamweaver, and for the graphics the program I use is Fireworks. Not sure how much these would run you, and then of course you need to learn how to use them (not hard if you're computer savvy). We use webmasters.com as a hosting site, and it costs $9.99/month for their basic service. However, we don't have a lot of fancy stuff (for example, we don't sell things and have to have a shopping cart). The basic package would be good for just an informational-type website with pictures, etc. To register your own domain name through webmasters.com, it costs $60 for two years.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us with other questions and we'll try to help. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM

I made my website by using a free program called NVu. Its a wysiwyg style editor. I am using Globe for my hosting and its about $6.99 per month and I registered by domain name through them. You basically design your web pages like documents in a word processor, give each a name, and refer to those names in links within your other pages and thats how it jumps from one page to another. Probably a standard program like Microsoft Frontpage would be a good bet for an editor, but I like free so I used Nvu. You can also buy and download, or get free page templates to help with speeding up the design. My website is pretty basic, so I have little knowledge to share, other than the good news that you can certainly do it without getting a college degree.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:19 PM

You know I built many a webpage just using Microsoft Word and hit HTML. But they are usually huge pages. You can run them through a filter to make em smaller.

Here is one I made with Microsoft Word. Then run through a Filter:

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...for_cj_gau.htm

But if your goung to want more than showing pretty pictures and secure ordering and stuff, your going to need something much more.

When I see a page I like I just hit VIEW, Source and see if it names the program they used. Try it on my site above. THe first thre lines show:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice"
xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:word"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Enthusiast

Rich,

I live pretty close (Riverside) to you and I build websites for a living. PM me and I would be happy to give you some assitance. I would be happy to get together with you as well if you would like. There are two things that are important factors in building a professional site. The programming which is what the other posts cover but also design. My wife is a graphic artist / web designer. She is awesome. Please don't look at 4x4garage.com as one of our sites since I designed it and I can't draw a stick figure. You can email me at [email protected] as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i use front page 2000 for mine.... its quite easy once you get the hang of it.. i bought a basic book so i can reference it... but front page is really quite easy to use... and then use a program for the pictures... microsoft imagestation.. i think is the name.. good program for resizing pics.. takes a few secs... and it came with front page..
like stated above.. if you find one you like.. click view source... and copy and paste it... and start playing with it..
other than that.. you just have to register your domain name.. mine was like 12 bucks a year or something... then find a server to host your site... ill plug tranquil hosting.... great service... but you do everything on your computer.. then you just upload your pages and files and pics to the server... usually you want to use a ftp program... this makes it faster... the uploading of your files..
i would recommend a basic book... i always forget things, since i dont do it for a living.. so i always find myself going back to it for this and that...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Hmmm, Thanks.

All I want to do is show a few things like a brochure, text and pictures. Since I would never order something over the internet myself, I would never expect anyone else to do it either, so shopping carts, credit cards etc is not wanted.
If someone wants something, they can call and order it. I'll ship it COD.

That's what telephones are for -- with no evesdropping nutcases.

That should make it fairly simple.

I noticed at Geocities that it offers different "packages," mainly different storage space sizes.
As a general rule, how much size (MB) would I need to show about 20 photos and 10 pages of text?

Thanks again, Rich

Scott - if nothing else, we should get together sometime anyway.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

rich.. for about 20 photos and 10 pages of text you probably can get by on the smallest package.. im not quite sure what they are... i would say..depending on your pics.. and if you resize them or not... but a text page would probably be only 5-15kb.. since its just what you type into the program.. but keep in mind a background image or anything is a graphic which is not text... if you get 50mb storage it should be way more than plenty... and you wont have to resize the pics... my two sites below are around 150mb combined.. but i resize my pictures.. and many new cameras today take pics that are over 1mb in size.. your best bet would be to build the site at home on your computer.. and see what size you will need... or put everything into a file.. all your pics.. backgrounds.. images.. gif's and what not... and what size is it? like i said.. text pages are just what is typed.... no color.. no pics.. so they are small in size.. my average text page is like 7kb... but this will depend on how much you type into it.. or the words on your site..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Way Outta Control

There's a nice little program called Photo Resizer from Visualizer.

It's freeware and lets you resize pictures quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode