AFW frame and drag link adjustment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

AFW frame and drag link adjustment

Iíve got an í80 Jeep, narrow track front, no lift. Iíve replaced the frame with an AFW. Iíve replaced all the ball joints, tie rod ends and drag link. The first drag link I got was just wrong, must have been for a wide track. The second drag link I got was the same overall length but had more threads. The unthreaded portion was the same length as the old link so we cut off part of the threaded portion until it was the same from center of tie rod end to the end. Iíve installed it and have it adjusted to where the ends of the link and the ball joint at the other end are tight together and my steering wheel is still off a couple of degrees. The Pitman arm is pointing straight back (within a degree or two) like it should be.

I know that the AFW frame rails are just a little wider (not apart) and not as tall. I can remove the ball joint and grind just a thread or two off the end and can get the steering wheel straight. I canít take length off the drag link because the unthreaded portion is tight up against the adjuster nut and I donít know anybody that has a 5/8Ē, fine thread, left hand die. I might make a couple calls though.

My question is has anybody else experienced this with the AFW frame, or am I just getting bad parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: AFW frame and drag link adjustment

Wellllll. Here's what happen with me. Bought an AFW frame. 100% satisfied. Transferred everything over. Myself. Took awhile. Turned the key, engine turned half a crank and stopped. Tried again. A third time. Pulled plugs, Two geysers. Thought I had wrapped it up good enough but the tailend of a hurricane came up the Delaware and dumped on us. Got it started. Up the street and back. Do a little tweek on sumthin. Up the street and BANG....bang bang bang all the way back! Limped her home. Classic hydro lock and must have bent then broke a rod. Soooo awhile longer, found a donor Jeep(rotted body, frame, you know) with T-5, more goodies. Transferred engine/trans/transfer case/drive shafts. It was just last fall I finally transferred the wide track axles. Sooo I finally get to do shake down drives. Steering wheel is off. It's on my list for either this year or next as a low budget fix(next couple of years finances will be tight). I'm hopeing that I just have to rig the steering but it sounds like I might be opening up a can of worms. Hehe, what else is new....I'll make it right. I hope this helps you in some way. Is there a way to tell if the pitman arm is straight, parrellel with the centerline of the Jeep other than a calibrated eyeball? Any idea what the service manual says on how to set up steering from scratch?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Taz sounds like you need to find a new parts store.

If it was not the same as the orginal then it was the wrong part. The threads should be the same length as what you had to begin with and it should be the same overall length. You may be able to cheat some though. Thread the other side of the draglink on first a couple of extra turns (go a 1/2 more if you have too) more then the new piece. That will let it come over more. You could even take the draglink off of the pitman arm and just turn the other side till you get the wheel straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

I was almost afraid to look at your post. Did we let bygones be bygones? COOL! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

No, before I installed the drag link, I threaded the long portion all the way into the adjuster nut, as far as it would go until the threads reversed. Then I threaded the short end ball joint in and made sure they met in the middle. Then I unscrewed each end, turn for turn, six turns each. I neednít have performed that last step because installed, itís the way it was in the previous step, butt end against butt end.

I might find a new parts store but if, and only if, my parts person moves again. Heís been supplying parts for my Jeep since before I owned it. The Jeepís previous owner told me about him but he didnít work at the same place any longer. I went to a 4x4 salvage yard and found him again there, selling new and used.

Heís the one that got the link cut down for me, all I had was a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw. They had a chop saw to cut it straight. He was concerned and was questioning if he should find a new supplier.

Thanks for the response though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode