Internet Sales - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Internet Sales

Hey guys...

Just a word of caution when buying parts over the internet for our never ending quest to build a better Jeep. Grab the tissue and popcorn and welcome to "As the Jeep World Turns"!

My 22 year old daughter loves to mud drag, she's a great kid and we decided to do a father/daughter Jeep project together. we bought a 1987 YJ that needed a "friend" so to speak, but we bought it right, sold the hardtop and doors and ended up with a total investment of $50.00 in a solid '87 Wrangler needing a motor. After much research and calling around, we decided building a stroker would be the ticket. in Janary we got serious about it, took the donor 4.0 apart, had it machined and before taking the 258 apart, did some research. We came across a company known has Accurate Power and Machine, well known on the Yahoo Stroker forum for building quality Stroker motors and as a parts supplier. After several discussions, I had my friend who is a engine builder and happens to work at the machine shop that does my engine work call Accurate regarding our needs. The guy said he was getting into more BMW applications and had a surplus of 4.0 Stoker parts "laying" around. He gave us a pretty good deal,on virtually everything we needed to build this Stroker, for both the top and bottom end! We boght all the valve train parts, trick valves, and a balanced bottom end assembly, trick throttle body, and much more! For the price we paid, we couldn't seperate our components and pay for machine work. So..out goes a check! Guess what? Yep, you guessed it.. it's now May, no parts, and our $2,500 is gone along with some parts like the throttle body that where sent in for exchange! Accurate Power and Machine is no longer in business. I noticed on the Yahoo forum that at least one other party is going through the same deal as me. So.. now it's a junkyard 4.0 and hopefully we'll still make some events this Spring! I've helped with some items, including nitrous and seats, but this project is virtually 100% hers, and it's her money thats gone, which took a long time to save! I feel horrible about this whole deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Internet Sales

Was it on a credit card? Call the credit card company but I don’t know if they have any recourse if the company went under.

Check with an attorney and/or the Better Business Bureau, you may be able to enter a claim against any existing assets of the company.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Cashiers check! Never again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:50 PM

That's a bummer! But it's a lot older than the internet - it's probably been going on with the mail order business since mail was invented.

Yeah, talk to the BBB where they're located and find out what you can. If you go to the small claims court in their county you can get a judgement and maybe get something out of them eventually.

I had a real bad feeling when I wired $3500 to a company in the Phillippines for a Jeep body, but fortuantely it all worked out fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Another person that was waiting, thought he was taken actually got his package today! Maybe there is some hope. We'll see!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am having a 600.00 problem with an online merchant right now. But I am not out the dough yet, need to go teach the bank how to fix it.

Ya, if it was by check, probably a civil issue although It fits the definition of theft in our state very few prosecutors will touch it... Hope mine works out better.... Good luck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Cashiers check! Never again!

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, USPS Postal Money Orders can be used to some extent to protect your financial interests - especially if mailed to recipient. If he/she attempts to 'jam' you, you have the USPS Postal Inspectors (federal LE officers)to investigate and potentially charge 'em w/ mail fraud in a U.S. District Court. (='ing big $$$ just to show-up & answer the charges, let alone defend & win.)

May cost a few dollars (more) per transaction, but worth it in large $$$ transactions.

Does not necessarily help you/your daughter Rick, & hopefully there is not a next time, but something to consider. Then again... did you mail the guy the check (&/ or the parts)? You may still be able to enlist the assistance of the USPS Inspectors. Maybe check into it, eh? Worth a ph call....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] <font color="red">Shysters</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Enthusiast

I know hind sight is 20/20 and this post is more for others than you now, since you have been educated by the school of hardknocks. I have worked in the internet business since 1998. I have worked for some of the majors like Lycos and some unheard of's. I have been in the office of companies trying to make partnerships and agreements and the next day "poof" the phones are off and the doors are locked.

I will only purchase online with one card. American Express.

I had a huge problem with Priceline. $3,500 dollars in plane tickets for employees. Although I gave them the correct address. The tickets were shipped without the suite #. It got returned to Priceline. They never contacted me. It was a short notice purchase so the I had to purchase at the counter. "OUCH!" I got back from the trip 3 days later and the tickets had been resent. Priceline of course told me to fly a kite after a couple of weeks of getting upset on the phone which was not easy. Not sure how their site is now but they didn't have a phone number on the site. If I wasn't in the business I wouldn't have known what country the company was in let alone city.

Called Amex... They have a special team that handles the argument for you. They work for you. I faxed them all of my documentation. Amex told me not to worry and don't pay the bill. It would show as disputed on all future bills until the issue was resolved. I got a few calls over the next 5 months from the Amex dispute team to let me know they are still working on it for me and to ask me a question if they needed. Then they called at 6 months to let me know that Priceline had agreed to the refund. That is service. Hmmm $35 (or something like that) annual fee and service like that. I felt good.

On a side note. Priceline is located in Vegas. You think because they hire Shatner and have all of these commercials they are a big company. Wrong... They are a smaller than you think and shady... I also won't do business anymore with a company that doesn't make their phone number the easiest thing to find on their site. It makes me worry.

Sorry for the long story but I hope it saves someone else the headache.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Good points Scott, but what do you do when it is a reputable larger copmpany and they say we cancled your order, but somewhere along the line did not cancle the payment?? Still trying to get this sorted out. I am not out any money yet, but poof I could be out 612.00 and once it hits my account,,, I am screwed.... Bank won't help, Master card says yea we can fix it but your bank has to do yada, yada, yada,,, Bank has no clue,,,
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Enthusiast

man that is awful... Do you mind if I ask the name of the company? Dude that is just so wrong... And we wonder why people go postal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode