Brake problems when wet... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Brake problems when wet...

when it rains, my brakes (00TJ) get really touchy. if i just apply a little pressure to the pedal, they grab really hard. it seems to be mostly in the front. any ideas?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Brake problems when wet...

I thought that's how CJ's were suppose to be for years. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

But some adolescent part jockey at an Auto Zone talked me into trying Performance Friction pads one afternoon. I haven't bought any other type front pads since then. Still use the cheapest (as in softest) riveted rear shoes that I can find.

There's my $0.02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll just add one simple thought... when your brakes do strange things it's often because you don't have any brakes at all in the back. Makes the front do all of the work and it gets twitchy really fast.

Would suggest that you check your back brakes if they are drum... willing to bet that the adjusters are not adjusting. Short term fix is to just manually adjust them.

OK, I can't leave it that simple.

I truly enjoy having disc on the rear of my CJ-7... but still have other CJ's around that are drum rear. The very best thing about disc brakes on all four corners is that you don't have to mess with them very often.... even after mud and muck. Just need a pressure washer.

Several years ago I had a full time 4wd Chevy Van as my work truck... Didn't have any time and took it to a Midas for brake work (don't ever do that). Long story short... a very lame brake job on the back made the front seem out of sorts and often scary. When I got sick and tired of taking it back over and over... I fixed it myself in about an hour... all rear drum problems that required no parts.

Inherent in the fact that a SWB Jeep is short... the brakes are just scary if you don't have a good front/rear balance. Tire size and lots of other thing come into play as you make modifications...

So? What ya got? What have you done?

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Way Outta Control

Could be just as Dale says -
The rears are getting wet, making the fronts do all the work.

Have a look underneath in the rear. The brake backing plates have a slot in them to adjust the brakes - slot size is about 1/2" x 1 1/4". In that slot SHOULD BE a rubber plug. If the plug's missing, water could be getting in.
Replacement plugs are available at auto parts stores for pennies.

When water gets on Drum brakes it gets shoved between the shoes and drums, killing friction. And it tends to stay in there.

Disc pads act like a squegee and push it off.

You might also want to change the rear shoes to the softest lining you can find -- not the "lifetime" hard stuff, but the cheapest stuff you can find. It's softer, so it doesn't last as long, but it stops nice.

For some reason - brake shoe and pad builders have forgotten brakes are a friction device.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 01:34 AM
Official Historian

Um, care to explain how the drums keep the water out between the drum and backing plate? Compared to that, that rubber plug doesn't make a difference.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Often the rear drum systems on a Jeep don't exactly work in the first place... Given I only know about CJs.

Emergency brake cables and the adjusters are most often the reason for failure of rear drum brakes. In my experience.

I hate drum brakes... too much work for too little return. But can understand not swapping them out because most of us don't want to do the research to do it correctly.

If you don't mind taking them apart and cleaning everything after every trail ride... drum brakes will work.

I'll shut up...

Dale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

light bulb!! another thing that i had forgotten about the just hit me from reading the reply, the ebrake doesn't hold, even though i adjusted it out and it gets tight. so now i do suspect the back brakes. man i HATE drum brakes!

and to answer the mod question, 00 TJ, RE 3.5 superflex, 33's, sye, cv driveshaft.

thanks all
shawn
shawn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Way Outta Control

Doesn't seem logical, does it? I thought it was hokey too - long ago, till I tried it.

It gets in between the drum and backing plate easily -- if you are stopped. But when moving the water doesn't seem to get in. Guess it's because when the water hits the edge of the spinning drum it's slinged off.
But - Fording water where the water level is high enough to get forced in there's no way to stop it.

But just driving along, that plug hole seems to let water in. You'd think being so small it wouldn't be much.

Try what I did -- put the plug in one side only - go for a ride in the wet - you'll get a radical pull toward the side with the plug, the dry(er) side. A fluke? Move the plug to the other side -- now the pull's to that side.
(He He -- Hmmmm, could it be the added weight of the plug?)

Drum brakes are a pain! But for many many years we didn't know anything different.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Official Curmudgeon

The backing plate fits into a grove in a flange on the back side of the drum. It ainít watertight but between being difficult for the water to go around the corners and the centripetal force shedding the water off when moving, itís almost effective.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Official Historian

I wasn't thinking of rain, sorry. I was thinking of wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode