Ignition Problem-90 Jeep Wrangler-Resolved - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Chris_442

Ignition Problem-90 Jeep Wrangler-Resolved

I have a problem- I upgraded my set up to the TFI Ignition upgrade and everything was working great except I was getting the umph I was expecting sold a Accel canister coil instead of a TFI coil. I pulled the can coil yesterday and went and got a TFI Ignition. Put in on and motor turns over but acts like its getting no spark. Disconnected everything and reconnected and still no luck. Went back to square one and put old setup back on and still having same problem. What do I check next?

90 Jeep wrangler
Nutter Bypass
2100 Motorcraft Carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ignition Problem-90 Jeep Wrangler

Still using the DuraSpark? or did you put an HEI module in?

Here's how it should be connected (click the picture for more info):

Here are a couple of threads with similar problems.... As always RRich provides great trouble-shooting information.

<u>No Spark at Coil</u>

<u>Dura Don't Spark</u>

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Way Outta Control

When you upgraded to the TFI setup what all did you do?
Just the new bigger cap and wires?
Different module?
Eliminate the resistor? Removing the resistor is asking for trouble with the Ford module.

Since it was OK before you started, but after swapping the coil back and forth it has trouble --
---- A shot in the dark -- you broke the coil wire when you pulled it out. Try another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Chris_442

Update 10:00pm Wednesday Night;

Spent the whole day tweaking and checking and thrashing and got it to give spark in the late afternoon. at this point the battery was dying so we added the jumper cables and got it to crank. Was in the process of setting the timing and it was begining to run smooth at 1600rpm and my told my buddy to bump Was in the process of setting the timing and it was begining to run smooth at 1600rpm and my told my buddy to bump the dist at tad more so I sould set it at 9 degress. He went to far one way or the other and the motor died and from that point forward it would not start again.

Here is what I have installed when I did have it running.

Already ready done prior and working before attempt at ignition upgrade
Nutter Bypass and Motorcraft 2100 Carb

New Parts:
Base Cap Adapter
Rotor
Brass Terminal Cap
TFI Coil
Acell 8mm Wires
Champion Plugs gapped at 45.

Things I checked/confirmed after it would not start again;

1.12 volts going to coil on + side
2.Voltage coming out other side of coil with key turned on.
3.Connector with purple and orange wire is working on both sides of connector.
4. Hooked up a Motorcraft Durasprark 12A199 Ignition Module at wrecking yard out of F150 with 6 banger. Wiring is same and has blue connector.
5. Pulled plug one out and cranked-no spark at plug.

My dad who is a mechanic/machinist in Texas and Im in New York thinks it might be the distributior itself but since he is not a Jeep Guy he suggested I post my questions in the forums before spending the $$$ on another dist.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

From the thread I linked before....

from RRich:

[ QUOTE ]
Need test light and meter type voltmeter.

Put a test light on the (-) side of the coil -- crank it.
If the pickup coil and module are working the light will flicker.
If it flickers, check the secondary wiring - like coil wire, cap, rotor etc.
If it does not flicker, connect a voltmeter to the pickup coil wires after disconnecting the connector - connect an analog voltmeter - meter type - to the orange and purple wires from the distributor. Crank. If the voltmeter bounces, replace module.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just do a search for DuraSpark and find lots of posts with checks etc.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Way Outta Control

And -- get those plugs gapped to where they should be. .045 is way too much. Make them .032-.035.
Reason is you haven't done anything to increase the power - voltage, current, burn time, etc. of the ignition system.

Using the bigger cap provides better insulation only, no power increase.

Using the TFI coil with the resistor still in place LOWERS the coil output (it's designed to NOT use the resistor.) BUT you cannot eliminate the resistor to make the coil work better unless you change to a different module, like the GM HEI. Eliminating the resistor with the original module is asking for the module to fry - way too much current.

Since you had it running once, albeit not well, bet it'll start with the plugs gapped right. I'm ASSuming you do have the correct plugs FOR THE ENGINE installed, not for the TFI system.

Bet it's a little flooded from the playing around with it. Try pulling the coil wire off by about a 1/4" gap - that will help clear the plugs. Once it's running good, push it back in.

I'd get it running as it is, then convert to the HEI like the link says. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Reason I say get it running as it is is in-case you do something wrong in the HEI conversion you aren't fighting multiple problems. One step at a time.

Let us know how it comes out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Addict

just a thought here on checking for spark...i use my timing light and check each wire starting with coil wire, less time consuming than pullin plugs....good luck with it chris
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Chris_442

I set the gap at 45 based on all the writeups I found on net and forums.

As for resistor - found a red/green wire that is labled resitor wire do not cut or splice that is then sliced into a yellow wire that goes to + side of coil and a secondary wire that goes down to a connector on bottom of firewall.

I do have the correct plugs- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So the next question or step-

I just read through the links and forums and found all the answers I believe I need.

Just want to make sure Im reading this right.

1. Gap Plugs back to 35
2. Replace Duraspark module with GM HEI
3. Check all my wiring and add connectors where wires are spliced.(Previous owner hacked up some wires under the wire cover)

The resistor piece is the only thing im not sure on. Do I need one or its it nice to have to get rid of radio interference?

Thanks,
CB
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Chris_442

In addtion looking at the pictures from the threads is the metal cap inside the old durspark a extra piece left over?
I picked up a old durspark case this afternoon at junkyard to have mount the HEI mod in and when I heated it up and got all crap out there was a round metal piece that came out with the rest of it but doesnt look quite the same. Do i need this piece?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Official Historian

The .035 gap is for the duraspark ignition. If you get rid of the resistance and install an HEI, you can go back to a .040 or .045 gap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode