need power increase for 2000 Wrangler 2.5L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 AM
qwerty4550

need power increase for 2000 Wrangler 2.5L

I have a 2000 TJ Wrangler. It has a 2.5L 4 Cyl. I live in CA and go to the mountains occasionally. Going uphill to Tahoe in a 55 mph zone I am going 35-40 with it floored in 3rd gear. Embarrassing, i know. I have been researching the Avenger Supercharger ( www.avengersuperchargers.com ) and was wondering if anybody would like to give me their input on what to do or if there is anything wrong with my engine. I am already planning on purchasing an AEM Brute Force Intake and possibly a cat back exhaust, any more thoughts?...thanks. I would greatly appreciate reading your thoughts or ideas on what I have stated.

p.s. I have tried using injector cleaner, no big change ( a local dealership mechanic thought that using that might help solve my problem)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: need power increase for 2000 Wrangler 2.5L

Header is not going to do much for you, 4.0 throtel body, open filter element, and make sure your cat is not clogged up. If you have stock tires on the jeep, I would point towards the cat. If they are 23 or larger tha only thing that will solve your problems is a gear change and it is cheaper than a supercharger.

Things to stay away from ,,,, Air tubes (buy a 4.0 tube, cut it off an buy a k&n to fit) spacers (it is multi port injected) snake oils.

Best bang for the buck is the 4.0 throttle body.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 AM
MOX
Old Hand

Stickers...lots of stickers! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

But seriously, sounds like somthing isn't right, I got a 3 speed auto and when I got the skinny pedel down, i can do 55 uphil with stock gears and 32's. I have a guted cat and a glass pac, loud and rumbly as hell, but thats all the lil extra power things I have done.

Oh ya... I got the 2.5L too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 AM
MOX
Old Hand

[ QUOTE ]
4 Cylinder 2.5L MPI Supercharger -- $369500

Shipping & Handling $80.00 in the 48 States

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY CRAP! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img] If you really wanted power for that much money, you could do a engine swap, and lots of extras...cage, lift, tires, rims, axles, lockers, more stickers...list goes on and on... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

2.5L is a great motor IMO, I have 130K on mine and its runnin smooth and barley makes a noise, but there isn't much power to squeeze outta it, but it'll run forever if taken care of...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Way Outta Control

In all seriousness, sell the Jeep and buy one with a 4.0L engine. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, and that's what you're trying to do...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Leve, i think this is more an issue with his jeep rather with a proper functioning 2.5L......no need to go toss out four perfectly good hampsters in exchange for a 4.0L

i can hold 55 up a hill with oversized tires (and stock gears), and its pretty darn hilly here in the Illinois RIver Valley...so theres gotta be something going on with his heep....

i agree with the others who recommend checking the cat.... makes a big difference when you have a clogged cat,

i also agree with others and recommend the 4.0L Throttle body....makes a good bit of difference...i like mine

also if you have high miles you can check your plugs and cap and rotor, my cap and rotor and plugs were well cooked when i recently changed them and it made a big difference

2.5L owners may need a support group, but it doesnt mean we cant be productive members of the jeeping community [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

the IL river valley is nothing like the mountians around here. 7% grade for 12 miles is common here, and even my 4.0 with 4.56 gears and 35's struggles to keep 60 mph.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]

2.5L owners may need a support group, but it doesnt mean we cant be productive members of the jeeping community [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Four Bangers United
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yea, but struggling to maintain 35-40 in 3rd gear ??? come of, i gots me a 4 popper and its not THAT bad
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i can hold 55 up a hill with oversized tires (and stock gears), and its pretty darn hilly here in the Illinois RIver Valley...so theres gotta be something going on with his heep....

[/ QUOTE ]

We flatlanders tend to forget altitude effects. The power loss is roughly 3% per thousand feet. Lake Tahoe is 6,225 feet above sea level. That will suck up almost 20% of the power.

A turbocharger automatically compensates for altitude to a point, because it will spin faster in the thin air and therefore pack more in. But a supercharged engine will lose power at the same 3% rate because the blower spins at a fixed ratio to engine speed. Of course it will have more power to begin with.

IMHO it would be a good idea for qwerty to first have everything checked out to be sure that his popper is putting out everything it should be.

And is your last name "Uiop?" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode