T176 shift tower pattern and tranny gear. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

T176 shift tower pattern and tranny gear.

Hey,

Well I installed the new clutch. Tranny still doesnt shift into gear. I took apart the shift tower and noticed it was messed up inside. Nothing appeared broke so I took it apart and I think I got it back together right. To make a long story short I have no idea what gear the tranny is in and I am not positve how the shift tower should be.

At this point I really need diagrams. Pictures may help but I wont be able to get any til later in the week.

please help

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: T176 shift tower pattern and tranny gear.

Well I actually just got the shift fork on and I think it is correct. It shifts into all the gears just sitting there. Now when the jeep is started it still wont shift. I have no idea what the problem is now. Is something broke in the tranny? Any ideas?

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Now when the jeep is started it still wont shift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shifts when it's not running... won't shift if it is running... clutch isn't disengaging.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Ok I have more time to type now that I have called it quits so here is the full deal.

The Jeep has a 360 and T176 setup. I sunk it in a huge mudhole a few weeks ago and once I got it towed home I noticed it would not move and I couldnt shift. So I pulled it all apart. The throw out bearing was seized and the pressure plate and disk looked like they could be replaced. I ordered a new clutch and installed it tonight. The new pressure plate had quite a bit of rise compared to the old one so I wasnt sure why that was. seems like 80-86 all used the 10.5 clutch. So I get it back together enough to test it and the tranny wont shift. So I figure I had the shift fork in wrong. After several attemps I figured something must be wrong. Out of force the shift lever had slid past two of the shifters and was useless. I took it apart and fixed it as nothing was broke and nothing seemed bent. After playing with it neutral seemed quite obvious. I test fit it another time and it still didnt work as the shift forks were not going on inside the tranny. Finally I figured out what neutral in the tranny was but couldn't get the gear to move. cranked the engine and got it all back together. Shifts into all gears while the engine is off. Once I start the jeep it wont shift.

The clutch shift fork has 2 return springs. it is as far forward as it goes. If it truely isn't disengaged at this point then that new pressure plate is 2 big.

Now to the definition of disengaging. If I have it backwords then you guys are saying there isn't enough "throw" from the slave cylinder?

when there is no pressure on the throw out bearing is that concidered engaged or disengaged?

Any other ideas help. Im getting desperate at this point.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:52 AM

No pressure on the throwout bearing, the clutch is engaged - it's in the business of passing power through.

I think Dale is right. Clutch won't disengage. If the new one is noticably different it's probably wrong.

A test would be to jack up the back end and start the engine with the transmission in top gear. The back wheels will probably spin. Push the clutch in. The wheels will probably still spin. Now step on the brakes. The engine will slow down and maybe die before the back wheels stop.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Official Curmudgeon

<font color="red">USING THE UTMOST CAUTION!!!!</font>

Make sure you have plenty of room to move. Disconnect the coil wire. Put the tranny in 3rd or 4th gear. Push in on the clutch pedal. BUMP the starter. If the Jeep tries to move, the clutch is not disengaging.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah it deffinetly wont disengage. I think the easiest test is putting it in gear, starting it, and then it wont allow me to take it out of gear while running and the clutch in.

What am I supposed to do now? I could take it all apart again and look at it but that isn't going to do much good.

I still dont have any idea on how to correct the problem
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Stoopid question time..... did you put the clutch disk in, with the proper side towards the flywheel?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

If a clutch disk is on the floor there is one part that has a protruding height to it and the other side goes in a little bit. I have the protruding part facing the tranny as that is the only way it could go or it would have bound up on the crank. Is this the right way?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

http://www.umit.maine.edu/~michael.p...DEAA-80000018/

Take a look at these pics. The pressure plate "release forks" are a good inch taller then the old one. The picture of the clutch shows the part that sticks out. This was facing the tranny as it is the only way it can go without interference.

The old clutch is 1.75 inches to the top of the relase forks and the new one is 2.5 inches

what do you guys think?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode