Buggy drivers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Nuggetruck

Buggy drivers

I understand why people completely gut their rigs, and make buggies out of them, but I think the majority of people who have buggies, have them because they lack driving skills, I know there are exceptions to everything, especially this, but maybe they think that since they have more capable rigs, they don't have to have "sweet skills"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Old Hand

Re: Buggy drivers

Why did you come to a Jeep board to complain about buggies. The mojority of every one on here has a full bodied jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Old Hand

I am curious to what the story is behind this post. Where you on a ride recently with, or ran into, some buggies? Did your next door neighbor build one? This post just seams out of the blue, especially for this board. There must be more to the story. -- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Official Curmudgeon

What kind of buggy?

I still own a Concept 1 dune buggy like this one. I built it back in í73. Itís been in storage for the last 20+ years. I kept it for my son. He turns 30 later this month and he just bought a house with a big garage. Donít tell, but him heís gonna get it in a couple weeks.

Let's see 20 years storage at ... I don't even wanna think about it.

Oh yeah, and it's been off-road too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand why people completely gut their rigs, and make buggies out of them, but I think the majority of people who have buggies, have them because they lack driving skills, I know there are exceptions to everything, especially this, but maybe they think that since they have more capable rigs, they don't have to have "sweet skills"

[/ QUOTE ]
well hello troll [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]

well hello troll [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/30.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

John, not sure I would say "troll"...newbie asking newbie questions with newbie ignorance and attitude...I'd kinda like to hear about what happened that upset him so much about buggies though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Given the timing, my guess was it was in regard to the big print at the bottom of the bash rules page that Dale linked to. But then I didnít understand why they were excluded there either.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The Badlands allows tube buggy type creations that you see in off-road competitions, at least thats what they use on their own property. Sand rails and similar buggies probably aren't allowed because they can go quite fast on the sand, and that creates a safety hazard.....at least thats my guess.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Given the timing, my guess was it was in regard to the big print at the bottom of the bash rules page that Dale linked to. But then I didnít understand why they were excluded there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be very clear.... but Dune Buggies and Sand Rails are not welcome due to the damage done by them in the past. And as Nick pointed out.... there is a safety concern.

About anything 4wd from a Kia (yes I've seen them out there) to a competition rock crawler is welcome.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM

I'm "gutting" my jeep to the bear necesseties (losing all the sheet metal i can, trimming off excess metal in places that don't need it, no body parts besides a tub, fenders, hood grill), 2 seats, a gas tank, probably loosing the heater, a couple gauges and switches, removable steering wheeling/ race car coulum, you get my drift. It will still look like a jeep but the reason i'm doing it is for competition rock crawling. 99% of the time weight kills you offroad, it leads to broken parts, taking more effort, isn't as easy to get places, takes more horse and torque to move the rig.

If i had all the body parts on like a tail gate, doors, and windshield frame they would just get destroyed, hamper visability, and get in the way. You have to use every advantage you can to get ahead. I'll have a fair amount of seat time before i get to my first comp which will help, but also the gutted jeep will really help me keep up with the guys with better equiped but heavier rigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode