Auxillary Tranny Cooler Mounting Location? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Auxillary Tranny Cooler Mounting Location?

Finally after weeks of procrastination I am getting to the long awaited cooling system overhaul my AMC 360 equipped V8. I have posted 3 threads about this already and feel like I'm beating a dead horse. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Anyway, how much does location matter for the aux tranny cooler? Is the airflow primarily from driving or from the fan? I know - probably both.

The reason I ask is because a mount on the bottom would be super easy but I have a winch so airflow could be an issue. I could mount it from the top but that would require some custom fab work on the brackets because the hood latch mechanism is in the way. Besides, have you ever noticed that nearly all the OEM aux coolers on mounted on the bottom (maybe because hot engine inflow at the top of the rad)? I could just use the supplied kit and mount it through the rad. The cooler is super light but I'd rather not do this to my brand new rad. I planned on suspending the cooler anyway and not have it actually touch the rad.

I'm probably over-analyzing but I only want to mess with this PITA system once! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auxillary Tranny Cooler Mounting Location?

It can be an issue. In front of the radiator, it will reduce cooling for the water. Anywhere else and it may not get enough air. Over about 30MPH, the fan is not doing you much good if any.

I doubt your winch will be much of an issue....the fan will pull air across the bottom. I assume you considered a frame mounted cooler?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:28 PM

I just zapstraped mine to the radiator.. infront..

I have a LOT of under hood heat though, I just took all the rubber crap off from under the fenders, may get louvres [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I just zapstraped mine to the radiator.. infront..

I have a LOT of under hood heat though, I just took all the rubber crap off from under the fenders, may get louvres [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will bet that RRich comments on this... Take the time to build a bracket and secure your cooler. Zipping it to the radiator will just damage both the cooler and your radiator due to vibration.

Good thing that I don't keep my work trucks very long. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Any other opinions?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

I definately would want airflow to travel over the cooler. It's a heat exchanger and it's hard to exchange a lot of heat when it sits in a static position with no airflow. With that said, if you're tight on space or don't want to block your radiator airflow, (or in my case, tight on space and don't want to block a/c condensor and radiator airflow), you could get a cooler with its' own fan and mount it in the engine compartment. Here's a B&M Hi-Tek cooler mounted under the battery box.

Here's an Earl's cooler with 4" Spal fan used for the power steering mounted under the master cylinder.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 PM

There's like 1/2 a dozen companies that sell kits for tranny cooler mounts, most of them consit of zapstraps and isolators.

I used about 16sq" of that foam stuff that goes under a carpet (in the corners) and 4 zapstraps.

I've been running it for 8 months and haven't had a single problem. it doesn't weigh anything, and it vibrates with the rad. The rad is isolate from the grill with rubber to stop it leaking if the frame/body flexes when wheeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode