R12 to R134a a/c conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

R12 to R134a a/c conversion

Does anyone have any information, costs, web sites or opinions about converting a factory air conditioning system on a Wrangler or Cherokee (1988 vintage) from the old R12 refrigerant to the new R134a refrigerant? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: R12 to R134a a/c conversion

I had my ac converted about 4 months ago, it worked for while till it start to leak!! This conversion is somewhat simple, they have to "retrofit" the hi side (I think) to accept R134a. If your o-rings are in good condition and you might not get leak(s), but ask them to put some leak detector alone with R134a (it is going to be easier to detect any leak(s) in the future.

It should cost around $150 and all they did was evac your old R12 and putting some oil and new R134a. Keep you eyes on your sight glass and look for any bubbles after the conversion, bubbles usually indicated leak in the system (fact, late model ac units are closed units).

Good luck,

[email protected]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:20 PM

www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/index.htm

leave a note for Ignacio Corella, NickD or Warren

brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 09:01 AM
Roy

Be careful! I had an 88 Grand Wagoneer that needed a new a/c compressor. I went ahead and did the conversion; the freon is about $5/can compared to about $20/can, you need the retro kit (o-rings, valves, etc.) about $20. After I got it installed, I developed a leak like you did. The R-134 runs at a higher pressure and is also thicker (I think?) If you think your hoses are bad, replace them. The guy that put my compressor in put too much freon in, that's probably what caused the leak, I got some hoses made put the freon in, according to what we thought the specs were, and 15 minutes later, the hose blew; luckily our faces weren't in it but I got about a $50 rust proofer for my hood. I got the hoses made again and made the parts store give me the exact specs for the amount of freon to add. For mine it took 4 cans of R12, in R134 it should take 2.5 cans. Moral of the story, go by the book specs, not somebodies formula. Also, if it doesn't cool right away, or what you are used to, spray some water on the condenser, it should cool. If you don't like the way it cools at stop lights or at idle, buy an electric fan to keep the air flowing through the condensor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode