harmonic balancer on transfer case.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

harmonic balancer on transfer case....

whats the point of the harmonic balancer on the tailshaft of the np231? i think that not all np231's have them. just curious. since w/o that the sye would have been a 3 hour job (who keeps a puller with M6 x 1.0 bolts that are 7 inches long!!!) pain in my butt!!! anyway, just curious why its there.

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Re: harmonic balancer on transfer case....

Is this on your 2000 tj? I never heard of such a thing. With a slip yoke? was it inside the cover or what? I've been researching the 231's just now and I've not seen any balancers mentioned anywhere. Looked at a couple of parts lists and exploded views and haven't seen one yet. There is not one mentioned in the SYE instructions I just read. (I have a kit on the kitchen table) Sorry, I have no answer, just more questions. Could you post a pic? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the point of the harmonic balancer on the tailshaft of the np231?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats a new one on me too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Yes a picture would be very good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

the balancer was stock and i removed it when i put the kit on. it was THE major pain of the conversion b/c like i said i needed metric 6x1.0 bolts that were 7 inches long to clear the stock output shaft. (trip to hardware store to buy metric bolts then welding them to the end of 5 inch long 1/4 bolts since they didn't sell any metric longer than about 2 inches) i don't have any pics of the balancer before i pulled it though.

and yes it in on my 00 TJ.

thanks all
shawn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i would also like to see pics if possible, where was the balancer located? im pretty sure i dont see one on my TJ

????????
odd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

i will try to mock it up and take some pics of it. when i get a chance... so no one else has this? wow aren't i the lucky one!

shawn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yup.. my 2000 has it too, but I did the hack and tap SYE and just left it there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Addict

It was used for two reasons. It was to dampen a low frequency vibration coming from the T-case. If memory serves correct it is 55hz. It also takes the place of the tin washer in the slinger seal. the one that the flared rubber seal rides against. This damper is also used on some XJ's. It was designed by the Hillsdale Tool division of Eagle Picher Automotive, for New Venture Gear in Syracuse NY. I was the engineer that set-up the production line on this part. Two double spindle cnc lathes, and an assembly press to put the rubber in. Oh yeah, a vertical cnc machining center to drill and tap those dreaded puller holes. They were hard to keep in the right position because they are very close to the rim of the hub. I think I have a part at home, and I'm sure I have prints of it still. FYI, there is a very similar damper on Libertys also. I do not work for that company anymore. I may have a picture of the damper if I do a little digging. I'll post it if I find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1407458-xjtjt-caseinserted.JPG (51.2 KB, 16 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Old Hand

I dont think the NP231's have them. But the Rubicon has the NVG241OR and that has one. I pulled it off and used a D300 yoke you gain like 3"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Yup, my Rubicon had one too. Didn't need a SYE as the splines are already in the shaft, but when I lifted it I took it off and used a CV shaft.

Hasn't seemed to be detrimental, although it may have a small vibration that it otherwise wouldn't have. Can't really tell.

Great to hear from the original developer! Wouldn't it be nice to hear from other guys that were in on the designs of things? Sure would answer some questions as to "Why did they ---."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode